Avoiding bad organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How do you avoid bad organizations? We recently had an experience with a terrible organization out of NJ with the initials LD. Had I known the owner was a thief and a liar, we'd have avoided the LDs like the plague, but there doesn't seem to be a database out there to help. Am I missing something here?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Would not lump all teams in an organization as bad.
More so coach by coach regardless of org.

Tough thing is one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There are bad organizations. Sometimes, they're disguised in a relatively reputable national name, but the person who runs the local version is shady or incompetent. Experience will eventually teach you who / what to avoid in your area, but there are some "tells" that will tip you off:

- Lots of teams, but few (or even none) of them are any good. Rosters change with frequent shifting of players between teams and age groups.

- The person running it might have a fairly long history, but changes team names or national organizations every year or two.

- The organization head is listed as the manager/coach for multiple teams. A good indicator that you won't know who will show up to coach on game day.

- Prices that don't match up to what you get with large up-front commitments.

The best organizations I've seen are those that adopt quality coaches along with their existing players, and allow those teams to run themselves. They support individual team efforts with organized tryouts, help with pickup players when needed, practice facilities, and a network of college coaching contacts. They don't charge teams big fees just to wear the brand. They run showcase events that attract teams from a wide geographic area that college coaches actually attend.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There are bad organizations. Sometimes, they're disguised in a relatively reputable national name, but the person who runs the local version is shady or incompetent. Experience will eventually teach you who / what to avoid in your area, but there are some "tells" that will tip you off:

- Lots of teams, but few (or even none) of them are any good. Rosters change with frequent shifting of players between teams and age groups.

- The person running it might have a fairly long history, but changes team names or national organizations every year or two.

- The organization head is listed as the manager/coach for multiple teams. A good indicator that you won't know who will show up to coach on game day.

The best organizations I've seen are those that adopt quality coaches along with their existing players, and allow those teams to run themselves. They support individual team efforts with organized tryouts, help with pickup players when needed, practice facilities, and a network of college coaching contacts. They don't charge teams big fees just to wear the brand. They run showcase events that attract teams from a wide geographic area that college coaches actually attend.
Great information!

Mar 10, 2020

Let me sum that up.
You posted how organizations run and then your solution is everybody has to go through the trenches over time you'll figure it out. How about some detail on how to identify the bad coach since you've been through it you can tell us all.

Mar 10, 2020
How do you avoid bad organizations? We recently had an experience with a terrible organization out of NJ with the initials LD. Had I known the owner was a thief and a liar, we'd have avoided the LDs like the plague, but there doesn't seem to be a database out there to help. Am I missing something here?
Do more research befor handing over a check.
Don't just go to 1 teams try out and say yes will take a spot. Go to five different teams tryouts. Go to several practices of the teams are interested in. Go watch them play or be a guest player for at least two different weekends at least six games before making a decision. Talk to different parents in the stands for just listen you will hear what they are bitching about. There may not be the coach that fits exactly what you want somewhere you might have to be flexible decide what you want to be flexible about and what you can't handle. Since your post is obviously just a rant trying to say you've been lied to why don't you talk about what you were lied to about and how you involved yourself in it because any dispute is not one-sided there's two sides and a third that is the truth.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Do more research befor handing over a check.
Don't just go to 1 teams try out and say yes will take a spot. Go to five different teams tryouts. Go to several practices of the teams are interested in. Go watch them play or be a guest player for at least two different weekends at least six games before making a decision. Talk to different parents in the stands for just listen you will hear what they are bitching about. There may not be the coach that fits exactly what you want somewhere you might have to be flexible decide what you want to be flexible about and what you can't handle. Since your post is obviously just a rant trying to say you've been lied to why don't you talk about what you were lied to about and how you involved yourself in it because any dispute is not one-sided there's two sides and a third that is the truth.
All fair points. Yes, there are often three sides to the story, but when you've been lied to and had money stolen and threatened bodily harm for the nerve if asking for a refund, I'm entitled to rant.

Mar 10, 2020
All fair points. Yes, there are often three sides to the story, but when you've been lied to and had money stolen and threatened bodily harm for the nerve if asking for a refund, I'm entitled to rant.
Anonymous ranting let's hear from the coach now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy