Parents.... Subtitle: The bad apples

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2022
Long story, I'll try to keep it short. We left a team last year because the quality of the instruction was sub-par and our DD was growing and moving past the "rec ball" type coaching and expectations. ( There are a million other reasons we left but I'm keeping this short) In the end our DD found a great new team and a great coach and was asked to be part of the team after tryouts. A few girls from my DD's previous team also made this new team and they are quality players and work hard. A few other players from the coach's previous team that had disbanded also came and then a few girls came from a variety of other teams also made the new team. It breaks down to almost an equal 30% Players from coaches old team, 30% Players from DD's old team, and 30% new players.

Part of the reason our DD decided to leave the previous team is because she's taking Softball seriously and has told us she would like pursue it in college. She has been working hard to get to that point. The new team she is on is a national organization that we hope could help her achieve that goal. So far the team and coaching has exceeded our expectations.

With that said, my wife and I have done everything we can to be a booster to the team. I run GC, one of the other parents works on the social media stuff, my wife has volunteered to do the book. We have tried to be vocal supporters of the team internally and externally. What we are starting to run into are a couple of miserable parents from the coach's previous team. We are hearing some rumors they are starting that are completely untrue and divisive, they make every effort to avoid the parents, their kids are the first to walk off the field after practice and games and they leave before the team meeting, etc... etc... etc.. These bad apples also pooh pooh any team building attempts off the field whether it's staying in the same hotel or group team activities.

The reason I'm writing all this is to see if there is any advice on how to deal with the few bad apple parents? I can see these 1 or 2 people spoiling it for the rest of us if this isn't nipped in the bud. Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 20, 2015
first thing I read and would put an immediate halt to is players leaving before the after game or practice recap. NOBODY leaves before being released without permission. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!!

That being said, it's very common for parents to stay in different hotels, spread out at ball parks, etc. The 'shirt starter' talk needs to be addressed early by head coach, and if couple families get shown the door, so be it.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022
first thing I read and would put an immediate halt to is players leaving before the after game or practice recap. NOBODY leaves before being released without permission. ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!!

That being said, it's very common for parents to stay in different hotels, spread out at ball parks, etc. The 'shirt starter' talk needs to be addressed early by head coach, and if couple families get shown the door, so be it.
Yeah it's funny, the coach is a nice guy and a good coach but he's very easy going. I've been debating whether to escalate my discussions with him. Thanks for the advice will think on that some more.

Jan 25, 2022
This all comes down to how much control the coach wants to have. It's his show, his rules, or leave. Or he can just let it play out. If pure lies are being spread by these people it definitely needs nipped in the bud, or they just need booted.

As for something like them not wanting to stay in the same hotel, I really don't have a problem with that. I understand the team building aspect of it and I would definitely tell my kid they can stay with the other girls in a room if they want, but I don't want to be in the middle of that when all I really need to do is be somewhere by a certain time. And really, I mostly just want to poop in peace.

And not all kids want to do that either. I wouldn't have at that age.

I'm also don't want to wear a matching t-shirt and crocs at Disney world, or do the ice bucket challenge. My wife would guilt me into the shirt, but you hand me a pair of crocs and I'll set fire to them right in front of you.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Don't allow anyone to leave early unless they have a legitimate reason to do so. That undermines the coach. That would be a big no-no for me.

As for mixing with other parents, that's no big deal. As my girls have gotten older, I realize I don't need that aspect to softball anymore. I am cordial to everyone, but I no longer go out of my way to strike up a conversation with everyone I see. If they start talking to me, I'll engage with them, unless my daughter is pitching. We try to stay at different hotels from the team and avoid the team dinners for a variety of reasons, the biggest being cost. I can usually stay at an IHG or Marriot hotel much cheaper than the stay-to-play because of my points. As for dinners, we just want to decompress after a long day of softball with a shower and a quick bite to eat.

I think those things are okay, but sabotaging the coach this early on is bad. If the coach won't address it sooner rather than later, the problem will just get worse.

Feb 28, 2022
This all comes down to how much control the coach wants to have. It's his show, his rules, or leave. Or he can just let it play out. If pure lies are being spread by these people it definitely needs nipped in the bud, or they just need booted.

As for something like them not wanting to stay in the same hotel, I really don't have a problem with that. I understand the team building aspect of it and I would definitely tell my kid they can stay with the other girls in a room if they want, but I don't want to be in the middle of that when all I really need to do is be somewhere by a certain time. And really, I mostly just want to poop in peace.

And not all kids want to do that either. I wouldn't have at that age.

I'm also don't want to wear a matching t-shirt and crocs at Disney world, or do the ice bucket challenge. My wife would guilt me into the shirt, but you hand me a pair of crocs and I'll set fire to them right in front of you.

Ha ha ha ha, great reply! It's funny because I'm so similar to you in not wearing matching shirts, or doing the ice bucket challenge, however I did previously say I would never wear crocs and now they are my favorite house shoe. :)

Yeah maybe my example of the hotel is a bad choice and I completely understand your point about just having your own bathroom. Thanks for the humor today and I think when I find a time I'll express my concerns to the coach.

Jun 8, 2016
Don't allow anyone to leave early unless they have a legitimate reason to do so. That undermines the coach. That would be a big no-no for me.

As for mixing with other parents, that's no big deal. As my girls have gotten older, I realize I don't need that aspect to softball anymore. I am cordial to everyone, but I no longer go out of my way to strike up a conversation with everyone I see. If they start talking to me, I'll engage with them, unless my daughter is pitching. We try to stay at different hotels from the team and avoid the team dinners for a variety of reasons, the biggest being cost. I can usually stay at an IHG or Marriot hotel much cheaper than the stay-to-play because of my points. As for dinners, we just want to decompress after a long day of softball with a shower and a quick bite to eat.

I think those things are okay, but sabotaging the coach this early on is bad. If the coach won't address it sooner rather than later, the problem will just get worse.
For weekend tournaments we will stay at the same hotel as the rest of the team. For something like Sparkler there is no way in Hell I am staying in a hotel room with a 4 YO and a 7 YO for a week...rooms with doors and a kitchen are necessary.

Feb 28, 2022

Wow, I appreciate all the opinions and advice. One of my concerns is that the team is new together and there are different factions and they aren't all cohesive yet. I think early on in the season it's important that the team has some off the field time together. I too do not do team dinners. However, having an end of the day adult beverage in the lobby is usually enjoyable with some of the other parents. I also COMPLETELY understand is people just want to stay in their rooms.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom