ASA Registration - Split???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
But, as I understand it, if she is registered on my team's roster, she cannot play with the varsity team if we are playing in a tournament at the same time. As I understand it, a player can only "pick up" with another team if her team isn't playing. This is why I was thinking of simply registering a #2 team where she is the only registered player on the roster, and thus she is just a "pick up" player.
From reading your posts, it sounds to me like you may be confusing or worrying yourself unnecessarily.

Contact your local ASA association office and they'll be able to direct you on the easiest way to get your player registered and insured for 2014 ASA competition. You may be able to enroll her in the system without a team directly through their office or they might tell you to get a friend to add her to their roster in order to go into the system.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
From reading your posts, it sounds to me like you may be confusing or worrying yourself unnecessarily.

Contact your local ASA association office and they'll be able to direct you on the easiest way to get your player registered and insured for 2014 ASA competition. You may be able to enroll her in the system without a team directly through their office or they might tell you to get a friend to add her to their roster in order to go into the system.

Given I'm coach and manager of ASA team, I'm quite familiar with the process of registering players on a team's ASA roster.

Mar 26, 2013
But, as I understand it, if she is registered on my team's roster, she cannot play with the varsity team if we are playing in a tournament at the same time. As I understand it, a player can only "pick up" with another team if her team isn't playing. This is why I was thinking of simply registering a #2 team where she is the only registered player on the roster, and thus she is just a "pick up" player.
The restriction you're concerned about sounds like the one for championship play that bars players from being picked up by another team if their original team is still in championship play. If the events you're playing in are so "laid back" they allow over-age players, I seriously doubt they're very concerned about rosters.

Are you registering your team individually or as a team? If individually, you can register your DD with your team and then release her. She'd still be registered and covered by insurance.

Are you and the HS team registering online via RegisterASA.com? If so, that makes it fairly easy to make roster changes throughout the season.

Feb 3, 2011
Given I'm coach and manager of ASA team, I'm quite familiar with the process of registering players on a team's ASA roster.
Now the thread makes even less sense. You add her to the roster of the ASA team you're coaching and then she plays wherever she wants on the weekends and her coverage goes with her. :)

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Now the thread makes even less sense. You add her to the roster of the ASA team you're coaching and then she plays wherever she wants on the weekends and her coverage goes with her. :)

But when we've picked up players in the past, their own team cannot be playing. That is, the player isn't free to be a pick up unless the team she's rostered with isn't playing that weekend. Maybe that's just here in Utah.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
But when we've picked up players in the past, their own team cannot be playing. That is, the player isn't free to be a pick up unless the team she's rostered with isn't playing that weekend. Maybe that's just here in Utah.

Then register your team and insure them PGF with your DD on it. Then register them without DD and the insurance at the ASA site. That way DD and your team is insured and she can pick-up anywhere. If the rules are the same in your area as here, as long as your DD is registered as a pick-up player for the team she is playing for that tourney, she will automatically be sanctioned ASA for that tourney.

Edit to Add: Since your not playing qualifiers it won't make a difference anyway. All you would need to worry about is insurance for DD which PGF will cover in all softball events/practices no matter the sancioning body.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
At what point did you find out the player wasn't available - when you asked them or did ASA stop you?

Most teams have a rule/policy against their players picking up with another team if they're playing unless the player clears it with the coach ahead of time. That's obviously not an issue in your case.

Feb 3, 2011
Ohhhh, now I get it. Yes, that would definitely be a local rule if that's what has been done in the past. As noted by MTR, the only restrictions on ASA players involve championship play. But your local association may control their rosters differently, in which case only someone from your metro would know the answer the question. Sorry, I wasn't any help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle