ASA Proposed Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
OK some explain this to me. The ASA moved the 16-18 back to 43' . Stating that it aligns it with the Colleges and for 'Safety' Reasons. So now they are going to let the girls leap? That will put them closer again with less stability to react to the ball due to forward momentum. Females do not have the same leg strength as men. I can see my students falling all over the place with this change. Plus they will be throwing harder so if you have a hit batsman there is a higher chance of injury there now.

Um where is the logic in this proposed change?

Dana.

Mar 13, 2010
There is no logic.

Why would they even consider allowing leaping when no other association allows it or college for that matter? As far as I know international competition is the only one that does allow it.

I can't speak for America, but leaping became legal in Australia at the start of this year. I personally HATE it, I don't think the benefits outweight the negatives, but everyone's going that way.

The men of course have been leaping for years, so they don't really care.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
OK some explain this to me. The ASA moved the 16-18 back to 43' . Stating that it aligns it with the Colleges and for 'Safety' Reasons. So now they are going to let the girls leap? That will put them closer again with less stability to react to the ball due to forward momentum. Females do not have the same leg strength as men. I can see my students falling all over the place with this change. Plus they will be throwing harder so if you have a hit batsman there is a higher chance of injury there now.

Um where is the logic in this proposed change?

To start, this is just a change someone has proposed to ASA. I think you are somewhat of a chicken little.

If you pitchers cannot handle a leap, and I bet most already do, then don't leap! D'oh! Many pitchers already leap especially when they have 2 strikes on the batter and need to bring a little extra. It isn't intentional, the effort of the extra push just pulls the pivot foot off the ground. It happens and is usually so minimal, the umpire cannot see it or call it.

And what difference does it make whether a man's legs are stronger? BTW, the men throw from 46'.

And this is not new. This proposal has been raised quite a few times in the past. Since it is obvious (from the NCAA's last year) that the coaches cannot or do not want to control their pitchers, maybe this time it will pass. But look out, if it does, that is going to draw more attention to a much more serious advantage in a crow hop.

Jul 26, 2010
There is no logic.

I can't speak for America, but leaping became legal in Australia at the start of this year. I personally HATE it, I don't think the benefits outweight the negatives, but everyone's going that way.

The men of course have been leaping for years, so they don't really care.

There are no benefits from actually leaping. The only benefit for allowing it is to take scrutiny off the pitching mechanics and let the game be played. From a pure mechanical standpoint, there is no gain by wasting energy moving "up" that could be used to move "forward". The men think it's scary to see another fat guy with a big overhanging gut jumping up in the air, so they do it for that reason.

-W

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
There are no benefits from actually leaping. The only benefit for allowing it is to take scrutiny off the pitching mechanics and let the game be played. From a pure mechanical standpoint, there is no gain by wasting energy moving "up" that could be used to move "forward". The men think it's scary to see another fat guy with a big overhanging gut jumping up in the air, so they do it for that reason.

-W

I could see where dragging the pivot foot by a "leap & drag" pitcher would cause the forward momentum to NOT be as explosive down the powerline because of the friction with the dirt for the 4 or 5 feet it is dragged, versus the pitcher who is allowed to leap and has no pivot foot resistance.

Feb 6, 2009
You can't move forward without moving up. The up and forward have to be optimized, like punting a football.

Mar 13, 2010

HAHA!

You've obviously never seen men's fastpitch. I've faced some of the Australian men pitchers in my time and I can tell you it's incredibly intimidating when they're flying at you.

I'm glad to hear that leaping gives no advantage. I find it a terrible jarring on the girls joints.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
I agree that you should allow the "leap" as long there isn't a replant and push. Trailing toe should be pointed down at least below parallel to the ground though. Most pitching circles / mounds are either in poor condition or dug out so much during a game that it's a judgement call from the ump on whether the toe would've touched ground or not anyway. That would take that argument out of the game.

Since we're on this topic, the NFHS rules that governs a lot of state high school rules should get rid of the step back rule, so that aligns with ASA too.

Oct 18, 2009
I could see where dragging the pivot foot by a "leap & drag" pitcher would cause the forward momentum to NOT be as explosive down the powerline because of the friction with the dirt for the 4 or 5 feet it is dragged, versus the pitcher who is allowed to leap and has no pivot foot resistance.

Yes. There really is a difference. DD's team faced a leaping pitcher over the summer being gunned behind the backstop (by the proud dad i think) at about 55-56 leaping at a 12u game and very tough to hit. When the ump called her on it and she corrected it she was throwing closer to 51-52 after that while dragging.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish