ASA Proposed Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Are you talking about leaping being allowed in all levels of woman's fastpitch?

As proposed, all FP. Doesn't mean change cannot be amended at convention, but it is a positive change that has been asked of ASA for a few years now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
MTR, that one hasn't even been around too long. But, the Look Back Rule has been an out, since at least 1964. Leaving the base early, never was an out, until the last several years, though. I wonder what prompted these proposals (or who?)

Jun 22, 2008
Why would they even consider allowing leaping when no other association allows it or college for that matter? As far as I know international competition is the only one that does allow it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, that one hasn't even been around too long. But, the Look Back Rule has been an out, since at least 1964. Leaving the base early, never was an out, until the last several years, though. I wonder what prompted these proposals (or who?)

Softball Rules, 1936 RULE 27 - WHEN BASERUNNERS ARE OUT

Must Hold Base Until Pitched Ball Reaches Batsman
Sec. 12. If he leaves or fails to keep contact with the base which he is entitled to occupy, while the pitcher has the ball in pitching position and until a pitched ball has reached or passed the batsman.

AFA the LBR, I was discussing this with Tom Mason the other night and we agree the LBR went from a rule meant just to keep the game moving and deter all the cat and mouse garbage on the field. It went from a game control key to a common strategy and whine.

As we have seen from ASA to NCAA to World Cup Championships how subjective the levels of allowance can be and how devistating such a call can affect a game. So, lets just kill the ball and put the runners back on the base.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Why would they even consider allowing leaping when no other association allows it or college for that matter? As far as I know international competition is the only one that does allow it.

It is legal in ISF. I think this will draw more emphasis to the crow hop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish