Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
As for assisting a hitter in realizing extension ... that comes down to what the issue is. Sometimes its as easy as teaching the sequence. Sometimes it's as easy as teaching the extension of the torso. Sometimes it's as easy as performing the 90/45/0 sequence drills with a proper emphasis. What I don't do is pause the hitter at contact and instruct them to push from there. But if that works for you, and you are happy with it, then remain happy.

FFS Could post gifs or vids to these fixes?

M4B

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not sure how you feel the authority to tell me what attitude I can or cannot have...I really find that funny. At last check you're not my boss or my parents or my wife or anyone with any sort of authority over me...

Actually I'm on the same exact page as EricF...I get it...but it's my method that is incorrect in your book and therefore it's wrong...whatever...no sweat off my back...AGAIN: I WAS ASKED WHAT I DID AND I REITERATED WHAT WE DID and you make this into a production...

Whatever...CP

It's pretty simple CP, if you decide you don't wish to be cordial then others will replicate. IMO it's best to keep the discussion on a technical level ... and hopefully on the topic of hitting.

As for getting bent ... you seem to be the one getting bent. I'm simply suggesting that the notion of starting at extension, dragging the swing back to impact, pausing, and then pushing to extension, isn't something to make a routine out of. Again, if it works for you, and makes you happy, then remain happy doing it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS Could post gifs or vids to these fixes?

M4B

Sometimes simply engaging in the throwing of bats is enough to get a kid to get the notion of throwing the bat head to extension.

I've even seen kids improve simply by explaining that the swing is on the right hand side of their body (for a RH hitter). That's the dumbed-down version of sagittal ... something even Tewks has been using for years ... but if telling the kid to swing in the sagittal plane works, then that's what you do.

Each kid has a different issue. Honestly ... getting the sequence correct is generally a good idea ... at which point a lot of these issues quickly become a bit mute.

Now, if others prefer to point the bat to the pitcher, drag it back to contact, pause it there, and then push it back towards the pitcher ... then go for it. I'll pass.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sometimes simply engaging in the throwing of bats is enough to get a kid to get the notion of throwing the bat head to extension.

I've even seen kids improve simply by explaining that the swing is on the right hand side of their body (for a RH hitter). That's the dumbed-down version of sagittal ... something even Tewks has been using for years ... but if telling the kid to swing in the sagittal plane works, then that's what you do.

Each kid has a different issue. Honestly ... getting the sequence correct is generally a good idea ... at which point a lot of these issues quickly become a bit mute.

Now, if others prefer to point the bat to the pitcher, drag it back to contact, pause it there, and then push it back towards the pitcher ... then go for it. I'll pass.

I get why you have an issue with it, FFS. You put a lot of emphasis on maintaining energy flow the same as it happens in a full swing, as much as you can. That's an understandable approach in teaching the swing. I know that exaggeration drills and isolated movements aren't usually things you advocate.

Regarding this particular issue with focus on the contact-to-extension portion of the swing, it's not about energy flow, but about teaching the hitter about the correct joint articulations and hand/arm positions during that phase. It's isolation of one small component in order to teach a specific hitter something they aren't otherwise grasping in the context of a larger movement. Once they understand the "where", the instruction can be shifted back to teaching them the "how", which includes proper energy flow.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I get why you have an issue with it, FFS. You put a lot of emphasis on maintaining energy flow the same as it happens in a full swing, as much as you can. That's an understandable approach in teaching the swing. I know that exaggeration drills and isolated movements aren't usually things you advocate.

Regarding this particular issue with focus on the contact-to-extension portion of the swing, it's not about energy flow, but about teaching the hitter about the correct joint articulations and hand/arm positions during that phase. It's isolation of one small component in order to teach a specific hitter something they aren't otherwise grasping in the context of a larger movement. Once they understand the "where", the instruction can be shifted back to teaching them the "how", which includes proper energy flow.

EricF, the correct wrist articulations into and through impact are a result of energy flow.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
EricF, the correct wrist articulations into and through impact are a result of energy flow.

So the correct joint articulations cannot be done unless the bat is flying full speed? No way to isolate this part of the swing and slow it down to "feel it"? No way to start at a pre contact position and mimic the downstream movements?

No version of this for hitting?
2w4xmqv.gif

it seems like you sometimes just make up opinions to be argumentative without actually thinking about what you post.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Agreed. What causes the wrists to articulate is absolutely a result of proper energy flow. By "joint articulations", I was referring to more than just the wrists. Understanding the correct position and direction of movement for the elbows and shoulder joints also comes into play, and if the hitter doesn't know how to position those joints, the energy can never flow properly.

I expect that most hitters with a decent amount of experience, this is pretty much a non-issue, or at least one that is fairly easily adjusted. However, with younger or less-experienced hitters, who are moving their arms/wrists in a way that is severely inhibiting proper flow/movement, sometimes a little more heavy-handed manipulation is required to get things working better.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
So the correct joint articulations cannot be done unless the bat is flying full speed? No way to isolate this part of the swing and slow it down to "feel it"? No way to start at a pre contact position and mimic the downstream movements?

The movement we're talking about is contact-to-extension, as described previously by CP. If the hitter is stopped in a contact position, and moves to extension, the ONLY thing they can do is push. The push is what rubs FFS the wrong way.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
semantics...I say pre-contact as in "instant before contact".

If you are stopped at contact (or just before), how can you do anything else but push the bat to get to an extension position? Giving a hitter instruction that includes action of pushing is where FFS is getting ruffled because it doesn't mimic the energy flow that happens in a good swing (that's how I understand FFS' input on this, anyway).

My opinion is that there can be value in teaching this small segment of the swing with certain hitters who are struggling to understand proper joint positioning and movement, and are inhibiting proper energy flow.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl