Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
No, this doesn't make sense to me.

At contact the whip should already be well underway. There should be a release process occurring. If you backchain to contact and 'push' to extension from there, then you are likely teaching something different than what should be the case.

When folks think in terms of backchaining they should be aware of the energy flow process.

Obviously I'm not looking for energy flow from that point. I'm looking to train the hands and arms.

While you may not like it, the gif's from the start of this thread demonstrate she is getting to extension far better than even a month ago.

SBC asked what I'm doing and this is one of the things we do regularly...

This is just like folks not liking the Mota drill. I don't really care whether one feels it is of value or not. I find value in it and feel it's helped her develop...CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thats to bad, because i have great success with this, as have apparently many others.

One of the first places i work is contact, Optimum contact, because the young hitters vision of contact is not even what they visualize. View attachment 9447
The very concept of being Open towards the pitchers boggles their minds. View attachment 9448
then when you show them how they now look, as to before, they start to really identify themselves as being just like Mike, which is the attitude i am looking for

View attachment 9449

Hate to break it to you Mann, but in all of your photos, there was significant energy flow taking place going into the point at which the photo/still was taken.

I'm glad it works for you ..... i.e., teaching a hitter to start from contact, in the absence of prior energy flow, and then push to extension.

I consider the hands/wrists way too important to promote such a concept.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Obviously I'm not looking for energy flow from that point. I'm looking to train the hands and arms.

While you may not like it, the gif's from the start of this thread demonstrate she is getting to extension far better than even a month ago.

SBC asked what I'm doing and this is one of the things we do regularly...

This is just like folks not liking the Mota drill. I don't really care whether one feels it is of value or not. I find value in it and feel it's helped her develop...CP

If you are not teaching energy flow through impact then you are not properly teaching hand/wrist usage through impact.

Many ways to get to extension. Some approaches aren't very attractive. How you get there is what matters IMO.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you are not teaching energy flow through impact then you are not properly teaching hand/wrist usage through impact.

Many ways to get to extension. Some approaches aren't very attractive. How you get there is what matters IMO.

I don't disagree with your point about flow through impact, and getting to extension with the proper upstream actions. However, if the hitter doesn't have a good idea of where the "there" of extension is, and how it feels to be "there", an approach like CP suggests has some merit (IMO).

May 3, 2014
Yup - Eric, it has been called having a very large tool box filled with whatever tool is needed for the particular job at hand. It's also called being a teacher.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Hate to break it to you Mann, but in all of your photos, there was significant energy flow taking place going into the point at which the photo/still was taken.

I'm glad it works for you ..... i.e., teaching a hitter to start from contact, in the absence of prior energy flow, and then push to extension.

I consider the hands/wrists way too important to promote such a concept.

What? never said that. Did anyone?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York

So says you...who named you the energy flow police?

Again - READ: SBC asked what I did and I told him. So you don't like this? Oh well...I have had success in teaching hand/wrist usage through impact...is it perfect? No. Is it significantly improved? YES

So while are are certainly entitled to your opinion of me not properly teaching hand/wrist usage through impact, I actually have posted my (and DD2's) work and have demonstrated success with this methodology.

I'm sure you come across hitters who struggle getting to extension. How you got them to improve in that regard would be helpful to this discussion.

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So says you...who named you the energy flow police?

Again - READ: SBC asked what I did and I told him. So you don't like this? Oh well...I have had success in teaching hand/wrist usage through impact...is it perfect? No. Is it significantly improved? YES

So while are are certainly entitled to your opinion of me not properly teaching hand/wrist usage through impact, I actually have posted my (and DD2's) work and have demonstrated success with this methodology.

I'm sure you come across hitters who struggle getting to extension. How you got them to improve in that regard would be helpful to this discussion.

CP

CP, the "energy flow police"??? Put a lid on the attitude ... unless of course you want me to do the same. Your call.

It should be common sense to you, that if you start from the point of contact, pause at contact, and then swing from there, that you won't have the upfront actions and the resulting energy flow from those actions. EricF got that ... and if you thought about it, you would get it too.

As for your daughter's swings ... I think years from now you'll look back at that thread you hijacked and have some different thoughts. I did think the hitter you referred to as lazy, DD2, was doing some things reasonably well.

As for assisting a hitter in realizing extension ... that comes down to what the issue is. Sometimes its as easy as teaching the sequence. Sometimes it's as easy as teaching the extension of the torso. Sometimes it's as easy as performing the 90/45/0 sequence drills with a proper emphasis. What I don't do is pause the hitter at contact and instruct them to push from there. But if that works for you, and you are happy with it, then remain happy.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
CP, the "energy flow police"??? Put a lid on the attitude ... unless of course you want me to do the same. Your call.

It should be common sense to you, that if you start from the point of contact, pause at contact, and then swing from there, that you won't have the upfront actions and the resulting energy flow from those actions. EricF got that ... and if you thought about it, you would get it too.

As for your daughter's swings ... I think years from now you'll look back at that thread you hijacked and have some different thoughts. I did think the hitter you referred to as lazy, DD2, was doing some things reasonably well.

As for assisting a hitter in realizing extension ... that comes down to what the issue is. Sometimes its as easy as teaching the sequence. Sometimes it's as easy as teaching the extension of the torso. Sometimes it's as easy as performing the 90/45/0 sequence drills with a proper emphasis. What I don't do is pause the hitter at contact and instruct them to push from there. But if that works for you, and you are happy with it, then remain happy.

Not sure how you feel the authority to tell me what attitude I can or cannot have...I really find that funny. At last check you're not my boss or my parents or my wife or anyone with any sort of authority over me...

Actually I'm on the same exact page as EricF...I get it...but it's my method that is incorrect in your book and therefore it's wrong...whatever...no sweat off my back...AGAIN: I WAS ASKED WHAT I DID AND I REITERATED WHAT WE DID and you make this into a production...

Whatever...CP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl