Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
To Mark's point...

I just went through this and why I suggest backchaining from extension back is that you can easily alter pitch location by moving the tee (don't even use a ball)...

There is tons of stuff in the DBSF thread that is loaded with clips from JJ's DDs, Perfect Circle's DD and my DD2...

Start here for extension: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-practical/25763-dbsfa-drop-barrel-swing-flat-anonymous-fff-thread-48.html#post359808

Getting them to feel what "whip to extension" feels like was easiest for us going from extension back to contact - then whip...extension back to launch - then whip...extension back to load - n whithep, etc all the way back to the handset and then repreating this for multiple pitch locations has been key to my DD's 8 week "transformation."

I'm not saying it's the be all-end all but we had great success with this in terms of getting her to and through extension...CP

Chris, Pls bare with me. I just want to make sure I get this right. When you back chain, do you pause at each point and go all the way back to the start of the swing? Or do you stop at a certain spot then go forward? The points to emphasize are extension,poc,whip, load (hip coil) and start. Can you pls clarify for me?

Thanks

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris, Pls bare with me. I just want to make sure I get this right. When you back chain, do you pause at each point and go all the way back to the start of the swing? Or do you stop at a certain spot then go forward? The points to emphasize are extension,poc,whip, load (hip coil) and start. Can you pls clarify for me?

Thanks

We typically will start a hitting session with a few back chain "pauses" at the points I mentioned...

The key IMO is getting her to feel the whip out to extension from any of the "pause points"

As I'm thinking of this...just to be clear...remember, for this drill the "start" of the swing is actually extension

Backchain from extension to contact - whip to extension
Backchain from extension to RVP point - whip to extension (don't stop at contact either on the way back or on the way forward)
Backchain from extension to handset - whip to extension (don't stop at either of the other 2 checkpoints on the way back or the way forward)

Make sense?

CP

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
We typically will start a hitting session with a few back chain "pauses" at the points I mentioned...

The key IMO is getting her to feel the whip out to extension from any of the "pause points"

As I'm thinking of this...just to be clear...remember, for this drill the "start" of the swing is actually extension

Backchain from extension to RVP point - whip to extension (don't stop at contact either on the way back or on the way forward)
Backchain from extension to handset - whip to extension (don't stop at either of the other 2 checkpoints on the way back or the way forward)

Make sense?

CP
Thanks Chris!!! Now I understand.
RVP?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

[-----]

Make sense?

CP

No, this doesn't make sense to me.

At contact the whip should already be well underway. There should be a release process occurring. If you backchain to contact and 'push' to extension from there, then you are likely teaching something different than what should be the case.

When folks think in terms of backchaining they should be aware of the energy flow process.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
No, this doesn't make sense to me.

At contact the whip should already be well underway. There should be a release process occurring. If you backchain to contact and 'push' to extension from there, then you are likely teaching something different than what should be the case.

When folks think in terms of backchaining they should be aware of the energy flow process.

You make a valid point that going only from contact to extension positions can only be a push, and that's not the action we're looking for. Without the momentum created in the earlier phases of the swing, there is no option but to push between those two points. That said, I think there may be some validity in using this step for some hitters who don't have an understanding about the position their body should be in for these these pass-through points. Making sure that the hitter understands that a full swing creates different forces, and their hands will be pulled through these positions should be part of the instruction in this phase. (IMO)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You make a valid point that going only from contact to extension positions can only be a push, and that's not the action we're looking for. Without the momentum created in the earlier phases of the swing, there is no option but to push between those two points. That said, I think there may be some validity in using this step for some hitters who don't have an understanding about the position their body should be in for these these pass-through points. Making sure that the hitter understands that a full swing creates different forces, and their hands will be pulled through these positions should be part of the instruction in this phase. (IMO)

Don't agree.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Don't agree.

Thats to bad, because i have great success with this, as have apparently many others.

By Eric F That said, I think there may be some validity in using this step for some hitters who don't have an understanding about the position their body should be in for these these pass-through points

One of the first places i work is contact, Optimum contact, because the young hitters vision of contact is not even what they visualize. manny.jpg
The very concept of being Open towards the pitchers boggles their minds. north_dakota_st_arizona_st_softball_300.jpg
then when you show them how they now look, as to before, they start to really identify themselves as being just like Mike, which is the attitude i am looking for

ashlynn12-0.00.01.44 - schutzler_high_pitch-136x225.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mann - I'm with you on this. Understanding how certain positions feel (body awareness) can be very helpful in the process of learning how to move through those positions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl