Anyone have thoughts on this Twitter thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Honestly I’m curious how a radar gun is juiced. I have never seen one that can be calibrated anywhere but the manufacturer.

@Pocket Radar Inc. , do you know anything about the stationary units used at a stadium? Do they have a calibration adjustment to correct cosign error that could be fiddled with?

Oct 14, 2019
Because speed sells. Just like throwing the phrase backdoor curve and saying she throws a rise when she doesn't. There is a lot that gets said on ESPN that isn't true.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
The only people watching fastpitch are those involved with the sport or fans of the colleges. I’ve never heard anyone saying that they watch because Fouts throws 73. They just say Fouts is fast because it’s obvious when you watch her pitch. There’s no benchmark like 100mph at MLB.

Feb 15, 2017
The only people watching fastpitch are those involved with the sport or fans of the colleges. I’ve never heard anyone saying that they watch because Fouts throws 73. They just say Fouts is fast because it’s obvious when you watch her pitch. There’s no benchmark like 100mph at MLB.
70 seems to be the magic number in softball that the powers that be at ESPN want to see. Must be the equivalent of 100 in baseball.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Honestly I’m curious how a radar gun is juiced. I have never seen one that can be calibrated anywhere but the manufacturer.

@Pocket Radar Inc. , do you know anything about the stationary units used at a stadium? Do they have a calibration adjustment to correct cosign error that could be fiddled with?
I mean I am sure ESPN could afford to hire someone to mess with them if they really wanted to 😂

Jun 8, 2016
spoken like a man of science
There are numbers in science/engineering where the value has significance..for example in understanding the “failure” of a mechanism. I am sure there is also a pitch speed which would almost guarantee “failure” in hitting too (due to limits in human capability ) but luckily for hitters humans have limitations in how fast they can throw a ball as well so it probably isn’t relevant.

Jun 27, 2021

Always question a kid who throws 65+ and poses with a PR but has an ERA higher than 1.3 ERA and barley over 1K an inning at 14U.

Dec 11, 2010
I mean I am sure ESPN could afford to hire someone to mess with them if they really wanted to 😂
I guess I always figured the equipment was present at the stadium and ESPN just tied into it.

I guess maybe the equipment belongs or ESPN? I could buy the juiced thing a lot easier if it’s their equipment. I’ve never noticed any radar equipment at the ballparks but I guess I wasn’t looking for it either.

Nov 18, 2013
I think ESPN just posts a number on TV five mph faster than what the radar actually says.

If WCWS teams all really had pitchers throwing 72-74 we’d see the Paige Lowary shift make a return. She’s probably the only pitcher next to Abbott that actually can throw 70+ on a regular basis.

Jan 6, 2018

I’d like to understand as well. They definitely are. I wonder if the equipment is so sensitive it picks up the hand speed right after release or at some point during the whip? Doesn't make sense to me for them to inflate it on purpose.