Anyone have thoughts on this Twitter thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I went back to the UCLA vs Alabama WCWS game in which Montana Fouts had a perfect game. I watched pitch by pitch. Fouts threw 70% of her pitches at 72-73 mph, the rest were within 1 mph of that. So much for needing a variety of speeds. She threw one off-speed at 55. Garcia had a lot more variety with 3 basic speeds, 70-71 and 65 and 60. She gave up 6 runs. Fouts was throwing a drop at the same speed as her bullet rise. I saw one slo-mo of her drop which was, interestingly enough, about half bullet, half top spin, not a pure drop at all.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I went back to the UCLA vs Alabama WCWS game in which Montana Fouts had a perfect game. I watched pitch by pitch. Fouts threw 70% of her pitches at 72-73 mph, the rest were within 1 mph of that. So much for needing a variety of speeds. She threw one off-speed at 55. Garcia had a lot more variety with 3 basic speeds, 70-71 and 65 and 60. She gave up 6 runs. Fouts was throwing a drop at the same speed as her bullet rise. I saw one slo-mo of her drop which was, interestingly enough, about half bullet, half top spin, not a pure drop at all.
I love watching Paige Halstead from UCLA. She's my favorite player right now. She called a great game if coach Fernandez lets her.

Feb 25, 2020
I didnt know this guy was an NC state softball person.

But I did a little number crunching just now, it turns out teams going 26-25 are the first out of the recruiting game for players throwin 69-72.

maybe he has a secret to develop 70 mph throweres....

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020

Interesting. Have you watched her when she got rocked?

I have watched alot of the VATECh vs Ucla series recently. I think "spot" plays a good part in the equation. Rochard was on in game 1 and struck out 5 of the first 6. Throwin alot of sttikes. Game 2 and 3 she couldnt quite locate it. At least IMO.

I am gonna have to watch those Fouts games.

Dec 11, 2010
She is fairly well known in player circles as being pitcher who can be rattled, that’s when things go south.

She’s growing though. I think you will see a lot less of this.

They aren’t playing Tennessee in regular conference schedule. I think that matchup in the SEC tournament or super regionals will be pretty interesting. Malveaux will have a plan for her.

(Standard Disclaimer: even though I say nice things about Tennessee, I despise Rockytop and that hideous orange.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Control is the game changer.

All pitchers need to make adjustments when they don't have it that day.
Adjustments = physical
And
Adjustments = pitch-calling

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
My DD is a big fish in a small pond. So parents ask me often which is more important of the Speed, Spin and Spot/location.

I always answer with "yes" or "all of them". It's pretty simple that all are important. And in younger ages, speed dominates.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I just went back and watched some of the game against Fla St. Same basic pitch repertoire. In the 1st inning there was a leadoff grounder up the middle, then a walk, then on an 0-2 pitch she didn't get the rise up or in enough and it got hit out for a 3 run homer. After that there were some groundball hits and misplays, a walk or two that resulted in another 3 runs. Who knows what the difference was, it's not always about the pitching. Sometimes the hitters just get their 'mojo' going. It will be interesting to see if she develops some variety. Right now it looks like top spin and bullet spin in the low 70's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802