Anyone have thoughts on this Twitter thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
There are tons of people who do silly stuff on the internet and have followers and make money from marketing ads because of it. I think they call themselves entrepreneurs LOL
Any casual fan knows you have a better chance of winning if you have a pitcher who throws 70+. Pulled up a conversion chart and that is 101 MPH in baseball, not every WS pitcher throws 100 mph. Most sit around low 90's consistently, which is equivalent to 63-66 MPH range.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Any casual fan knows you have a better chance of winning if you have a pitcher who throws 70+. Pulled up a conversion chart and that is 101 MPH in baseball, not every WS pitcher throws 100 mph. Most sit around low 90's consistently, which is equivalent to 63-66 MPH range.
I was simply commenting about twitter/internet offerings. Just because people read it on the computer doesn't mean they found a diamond. Lol

As to pitching speed
see a lot of pitchers who don't throw fast completely aggravate and destroy other teams. Speaking of the elite levels watching in college or older become the cream of the crop.
Even at that level there are comparatively successful pitchers who do not throw 70 mph.
And most do not throw all of their pitches the same fast speed even though they can throw 70 mph.

I know with certainty facing pitchers who could throw 70mph it wasn't there speed that could defeat us.
Because our hitting abilities were equal to it.

Simply, Speed does not necessarily make for a great pitcher.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT

To level set, only 147 pitches in the MLB World Series since 2008 have been 100mph or more. Chapman has thrown 54 of them.

Jun 27, 2021
I was simply commenting about twitter/internet offerings. Just because people read it on the computer doesn't mean they found a diamond. Lol

As to pitching speed
see a lot of pitchers who don't throw fast completely aggravate and destroy other teams. Speaking of the elite levels watching in college or older become the cream of the crop.
Even at that level there are comparatively successful pitchers who do not throw 70 mph.
And most do not throw all of their pitches the same fast speed even though they can throw 70 mph.

I know with certainty facing pitchers who could throw 70mph it wasn't there speed that could defeat us.
Because our hitting abilities were equal to it.

Simply, Speed does not necessarily make for a great pitcher.
absolutely. To me what makes a great pitcher is realizing you're not going to blow it by them like you did in 12u and adapt to who you're going to be moving forward. Too many playing 16U throwing mid-50's are at a crossroads.

Oct 14, 2019
This thread keeps going in a circle. An elite pitcher at D1 must have a certain baseline level of speed. The speed is what makes everything else work - change-up, drop ball, etc. Speed + movement + change of pace + location is what makes the best pitchers. The tweeter’s premise that the best pitchers at the CWS threw hard is indisputable, no matter what you think about the radar.

Jun 8, 2016
This thread keeps going in a circle. An elite pitcher at D1 must have a certain baseline level of speed. The speed is what makes everything else work - change-up, drop ball, etc. Speed + movement + change of pace + location is what makes the best pitchers. The tweeter’s premise that the best pitchers at the CWS threw hard is indisputable, no matter what you think about the radar.
Unless you look at the correlation between other aspects of pitching (if you can find useful metrics..) and success (he used team WCWS success for this which is another issue..) the "most important skill" part of his "Developing velocity is the most important skill to develop for softball pitchers with championship aspirations." statement cannot be taken seriously.

Jun 27, 2021
What defines Elite? Speed, strikeouts, ERA or wins? Most D1 kids have a solid baseline to be successful if they can take what has gotten them to be recruited/signed and tapped into whatever else is left in the tank. To me the best to do it Monica Abbott is 6'3 and threw 70MPH vs. AZ in the WCWS and came up empty. She's elite, but no championship to show at Tennessee. Mowatt threw 68MPH to lead AZ to victory at 5'6. Believe we all understand the message, just the messenger was the wrong person to deliver it. Lisa Fernandez or Ueno wants to drop that on twitter, you'll get more validity.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45