Anybody know if the face guards on helmets will interchange?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2020
I have helmets from Evoshield, Demarini, and Rip It but am looking at going with Boombah for new team colors. I haven't tried it yet but the Evoshield and Demarini may interchange because they are both made by Wilson. Do any of you have Boombah helmets and can you tell me if the Evoshield, Demarini, or Rip It masks will work on Boombah? Thanks!

Jun 20, 2015
i'd triple check availability before stressing on masks interchangability. We bought 3-4 different brands last year to even be close to looking like a team. production and transportation issues are still very real delays.

May 29, 2015
Keep in mind that Manufacturer A’s face masks are not only not designed to be used with Manufacturer B’s helmets but are not NOCSAE certified when used in this manner.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I put a Rawlings mask from Academy on DD's Boombah helmet. Gave her much better visibility. The rice-bowl "certification" thing aside, it's a helmet and a mask. Regardless of brand name, if the screw holes line up, chances are it was made in different parts of the same factory and was "designed" to work together. It will be fine.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
Right up until the umpire says it ISN'T fine and has the rule book to back him/her up.....YMMV
And umps have all the manufactures gear memorized. Each is an amazing data base of balls, bats, helmets, shoes with or without metal cleats and more from the past decade. Even the new custom colors offered for bats these days.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Right up until the umpire says it ISN'T fine and has the rule book to back him/her up.....YMMV

Helmets and cages are sold both separately and attached. If a cage properly fits a helmet, you've got nothing to say. The difference between being an "official" and being "officious" can be razor thin.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
We have the rule book memorized, the rules say the cage and mask MUST be from the same manufacturer.

It is simple really,

1) Player safety
2)Sportsmanship
3) Let the girls play
4) Who actually wins

Anyone here disagree that is the order of things we should all be worried about?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
FWIW. the only time I have removed a cage/helmet combo from a game was for the helmet shell being cracked, the inner pads being missing or there being a missing screw from the cage, the screw was replaced, no issue. The other two problems; sorry, not using that helmet today

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
We have the rule book memorized, the rules say the cage and mask MUST be from the same manufacturer.

It is simple really,

1) Player safety
2)Sportsmanship
3) Let the girls play
4) Who actually wins

Anyone here disagree that is the order of things we should all be worried about?

On that first part … sort of, but not spelled out so easily. Theoretically I could manufacture a face mask to use with somebody else's helmet, but I would have to submit it for NOCSAE testing and have it approved by that manufacturer.

NFHS 1-6
ART. 5 . . . Batting helmets that are broken, cracked, dented, or that have been altered are prohibited from use.
ART. 6 . . . All fast-pitch batting helmets shall be equipped with a NOCSAE approved face protector. The phrase, "Meets NOCSAE Standard at the time of manufacture" must be permanently affixed to the face protector.

NCAA
3.8.2 Offensive headgear face mask. An offensive player may wear a helmet with a commercially manufactured protective face mask attached. The face mask should meet the NOCSAE standard for the mask and helmet combination and must be permanently attached by the manufacturer or attached by a procedure approved by the manufacturer.

USSSA
RULE 2. EQUIPMENT
Sec 1. BATTING HELMET
In the Youth program, NOCSAE approved batting helmets with extended ear flaps, which cover both ears and temples are mandatory for all batters, on deck batters, base runners, non-adult base coach, non-adult bat & ball shaggers in live ball territory, even if the ball is dead. All fastpitch batting helmets shall be equipped with a NOCSAE-approved face protector. The phrase, “Meets NOCSAE Standard at the time of manufacture” must be permanently affixed to the face protector.

And from the actual NOCSAE standard:
7.3.3. WARNING:
DO NOT USE THIS FACE PROTECTOR IF IT IS CRACKED OR DEFORMED, OR IF THE MATERIAL OR COATING IS DETERIORATED. SEVERE HEAD OR NECK INJURY, INCLUDING PARALYSIS OR DEATH, MAY OCCUR TO YOU DESPITE USING THIS FACE PROTECTOR. NO HELMET FACE PROTECTOR SYSTEM CAN PREVENT ALL HEAD INJURIES OR ANY NECK INJURIES A PLAYER MIGHT RECEIVE WHILE PARTICIPATING IN BASEBALL OR SOFTBALL.

THIS FACE PROTECTOR DOES NOT COMPLY WITH NOCSAE REQUIREMENTS UNLESS PROPERLY ATTACHED TO A BATTER’S HELMET SPECIFICALLY LISTED BY THE MANUFACTURER.

So … do I have every detail memorized? No. But if I see tell-tale clues (two different manufacturer’s logos or drilled holes) … “that’s going to be a no-go, coach.”

Here is my million dollar question … why? Why are you dying on this hill?

For me this actually is not about the rules, but about understanding the choices we make to ignore things when it comes to safety equipment, especially that of our children. 99% of the time nothing ever happens to us. But that 1% of the time that something catastrophic happens still happens ... to somebody ... maybe even us or our kid. I don't believe it is malicious, I believe it comes from a place of ignorance about hazards and danger.

Are you going to buy a car for your daughter and then install the seat belts and airbags yourself? Maybe you think the color of the seat belt clashes with the interior but you have this really cool paracord in just the right color ... what's the harm? And the airbags, that's just the manufacturer trying to gouge you. Thick ply garbage bags will work just as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00