Anderson Bats...which one?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Greenmonsters-

Have you ever heard a comparison of the new Nano with the composite handle to the top end all composites like the Xenos or CF5's by someone who has swung both? It bothers me that we might be missing something good with that bat!

If Anderson was still doing the Proof At The Plate program I would have had one here at the house for a first hand report.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Greenmonsters-

Have you ever heard a comparison of the new Nano with the composite handle to the top end all composites like the Xenos or CF5's by someone who has swung both? It bothers me that we might be missing something good with that bat!

If Anderson was still doing the Proof At The Plate program I would have had one here at the house for a first hand report.

I haven't really heard much about the performance of the composite-handled FP Nano and haven't seen any myself yet. I think that's probably a function of a limited release during fall 2012, which is the off season for most SB. Performance wise, I think the composite handle did 2 things 1) reduced hand sting on mis-hits and 2) gave Anderson design flexibility to make a -12 drop and, although they didn't do it for FP, add an endload (the Nano Omega for slow pitch). In my experience, the one-piece original Nano can hang with the best post-ABI composites. I don't see why the composite handle Nano would be any different.

My DD has a 34/24 Nano, but is swinging either a 33" or 34" RT because she prefers an endload. IMO, the process of learning to swing a heavier, endloaded bat makes it much easier to expose, identify, and correct faulty mechanics than swinging balanced -10 or -12 drop bats as the lighter bats can cover up many swing flaws. Once the mechanics are good and ingrained and the hitter is making consistently solid contact, the added mass of the RT pays dividends over a lighter bat. DD will probably stick w/ the RTs until Anderson makes a FP version of the Nano Omega (similar mass as a RT but with the larger sweet spot of the Nano). As I understand it, testing is ongoing to determine if the 2013 RTs also will have a composite handle!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I haven't really heard much about the performance of the composite-handled FP Nano and haven't seen any myself yet. I think that's probably a function of a limited release during fall 2012, which is the off season for most SB. Performance wise, I think the composite handle did 2 things 1) reduced hand sting on mis-hits and 2) gave Anderson design flexibility to make a -12 drop and, although they didn't do it for FP, add an endload (the Nano Omega for slow pitch). In my experience, the one-piece original Nano can hang with the best post-ABI composites. I don't see why the composite handle Nano would be any different.

My DD has a 34/24 Nano, but is swinging either a 33" or 34" RT because she prefers an endload. IMO, the process of learning to swing a heavier, endloaded bat makes it much easier to expose, identify, and correct faulty mechanics than swinging balanced -10 or -12 drop bats as the lighter bats can cover up many swing flaws. Once the mechanics are good and ingrained and the hitter is making consistently solid contact, the added mass of the RT pays dividends over a lighter bat. DD will probably stick w/ the RTs until Anderson makes a FP version of the Nano Omega (similar mass as a RT but with the larger sweet spot of the Nano). As I understand it, testing is ongoing to determine if the 2013 RTs also will have a composite handle!

Now that would be really interesting!;)

Dec 11, 2010
Wow- Very interesting. It's great to hear Anderson is working on so many new ideas.

Agree with your comments on end-loaded vs. balance bats.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
IMO, the process of learning to swing a heavier, endloaded bat makes it much easier to expose, identify, and correct faulty mechanics than swinging balanced -10 or -12 drop bats as the lighter bats can cover up many swing flaws. Once the mechanics are good and ingrained and the hitter is making consistently solid contact, the added mass of the RT pays dividends over a lighter bat.

Spot on great advice!

Oct 14, 2008
It depends on the manufacturer. I know Big D bats as well as GM seems to know Anderson. Big D offers the CF5 in a -10 end-loaded (insane) and a -10 balanced which is the Hope. They also offer various drops of the Hope but the insane is only available in a -10...at least until 2013. the CF4 Insane is even more end-loaded than the CF5 and is a -10 as well.

Is that a -10 that swings like a end load? The reason I ask is that I have seen the older cf,s that were supposed to be end loaded, but those were all rated drop 9. It must have been loaded with air. Because it sure diddnt feel or swing like an end loaded bat to me. The Problem probably comes on my end the dd used the R/T 04 and 5 with the 2.5 oz end loads, no mistaking that in your hands.

Tim

Dec 11, 2010
I don't know if this helps but I balanced my dd's CF4 Insane next to a regular CF5 and there was only an inch, inch and a half difference on where the balance point was.

I would guess the balance point on a RT is further out on the barrel yet.

Dec 7, 2011
I just did a comparo between DD's last years CF4 Insane 33 to her new 34 RT. The balance point from the butt of the bat out was at the same distance from the butt. Meaning that the Insane is more of an end-loaded than the RT.

The balance point on the RT is right at the start of the double-wall sleeve.

Oct 14, 2008
I just did a comparo between DD's last years CF4 Insane 33 to her new 34 RT. The balance point from the butt of the bat out was at the same distance from the butt. Meaning that the Insane is more of an end-loaded than the RT.

Would have never though I would see that day come. Anderson had to drop the end load weight on their newer models. Companies that are known for their balanced bats are getting into end load and the Grand daddy of end load is experimenting more with balanced. The world is getting more mixed up all the time.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

I bet if someone took the CF5 and compared it to a new RT they would be the same balance point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad