Advice for teen umpires?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
I agree be firm, loud and confident with the calls. Don't let the coaches or the fans bully you( sounds like she got that part already figured out). Parents and coaches can be horrible people sometimes.

Jan 11, 2015

Can't go wrong with the official umpire manual. They made it free and online to download a couple of years ago. They have tons of pictures on each situation and how to move. They also have hyperlinks to the animated models that show the field, runners, and umpires on their YouTube account.

Everything is in here but it requires solo learning and going through everything. She can get as much or little as she wants to in this manual

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No need to tell people how long she has been umpiring.
Not even needed when/If the coaches think they are umpiring from the duggouts ;) with all that mighty experience they have...in rec.

Just be as consistant on whatever strikezone seems correct to you.
*Thats what every umpire does!

Also when/if arguing starts to happen parents yelling takes over....just stop in the moment and say LOUDLY to the players...
Do you want to play softball or listen to adults complain?
It makes a statement!

When i did that....as a teenager umpiring rec...
The players screamed out
'Play softball'
And the yapping stopped. :)
True story ;)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
This is the slide deck I reviewed before doing my first game as plate umpire with a partner:
5a173c2a93488.pdf (softball.ca)

What I had my DD review before doing her game as base umpire:
Softball - Base Umpire Fundamentals - YouTube

Here is USA Softball's umpire page. There used to be 2 animinated DVDs on Umpire mechanics I had, but I think loaned my copies to the UIC about 5 years ago and never got them back :/. If you do some searching on youtube, you might find them somewere:
Umpires (teamusa.org)

In my experience, about 90pct of the time if the youth umpire quietly and calmly warns the coach they will toss them if they don't calm down, they will come to their senses and calm down.

I can't find the meme/story at the moment, but I saw one other day the gist is an parent comes up to someone heckling their kid asking them to stop, then the parent doing the heckling tells the parent they will stop heckling thier sone when he stops heckling his son. Parent is confused, they aren't heckling any players. The other parent points to the youth umpire.

Great resources, thanks!

Nov 15, 2019

Can't go wrong with the official umpire manual. They made it free and online to download a couple of years ago. They have tons of pictures on each situation and how to move. They also have hyperlinks to the animated models that show the field, runners, and umpires on their YouTube account.

Everything is in here but it requires solo learning and going through everything. She can get as much or little as she wants to in this manual

Perfect, thanks!

May 29, 2015
I'm going to post this coming off of the single worst day of umpiring I have ever had ... eventually I will decompress and share it! :)

That said, something jumped out at me in the last few posts, so I want to say this loud and proud: Organizations using youth umpires NEED to have a board member present at ALL of those games. Youth umpires should NOT be dealing with adult behavior issues.

Organizations should also have very clear and severe consequences for their coaches who choose to harass children.

Mar 1, 2013
I'm no youth, but I'm relatively new to the umpiring game (less than 10 years). Since my "breaking in" experience is still relatively fresh, here are my thoughts (and I haven't read through the whole thread so there may be repeats).

Call them as you see them. At a clinic once, the instructor told us, "I can teach you mechanics and rules, I cannot teach you judgement - that's on you to develop and it will get better the more games you do." - My tack on to that is to not beat yourself up on bad/missed calls. I used to dwell on something during the game if I completely blew a call and knew it. Don't do that because it will take you on a downward spiral. Never even try a "make up call" - just eat a blown call and move on.

Don't be in a rush. See the play, consider what just happened, make the call. If you rush the out call on a banger at first and then the F3 drops the ball while you're selling the out, you get to make the dreaded "3 call play" - "Out! ... SAFE! ... *#$&!". Don't take "all day" to make a call, but a pause and a confident call is good mechanics.

Work on mechanics. It sound foolish, but it's OK to practice in front of a mirror. Look at the umpire manual linked above and see the way they want you to make signals keeping in mind that some mechanics are different between sanctions (arm position on "the hammer" for example) - at a USA clinic, I got called on my hammer because I was doing it "NCAA Style" instead of USA/ASA style.

If you enforce something, enforce it. Equipment checks, pitching rules, youth catchers warming up a pitcher must wear a mask, etc. Anything really but those are examples where the answer is ALWAYS, "You're the first umpire to call that all year". That answer is bull and the coach knows it. Don't let them get in your head that you are somehow an odd ball.

No matter what level you are calling - as a young umpire, she'll likely be "stuck" in the lower levels until she gains some experience and age. It doesn't matter. They are paying for an umpire, they deserve a professional umpire. Clean uniform properly worn, professional attitude, crisp mechanics, hustle on plays.

I mentioned "professional attitude" - don't read that as "hardass" although that is sometimes required when a coach is pushing the limits. It's OK to be personable, but remember that you're not their friend, you are a sports official and carry the authority that comes with that.

When assigned a game, ask what local rules are in place. Especially in rec leagues, there are always local rules. If it's available, get a written copy of it. I keep a Microsoft Publisher template on my laptop with a text box the perfect size to fit in my lineup card holder and I put in the overrides or points of emphasis for any local league I do, then print, cut out and laminate it so I have it to refer to at the plate meeting.

To the point of "local rules" - things like "max 10 batters an inning" or "max 6 runs an inning" or whatever, I always tell the coaches, "you guys police that and let me know when it happens. I don't keep score or count batters".

And something a good friend told me when I mentioned that I wanted to start umpiring when my coaching days were over. He said, "Remember Rule 1. Rule 1 is HUSTLE". If you hustle on the plays to get to the best position to make a call, it makes your game better and adds to your credibility.

Finally - Have fun. If she gets to the point that she dreads stepping on the field, it's time to take a break. Yes, it's a job, but it's ball and it should be something you enjoy.

Tell her congratulations from me.

Ed

Last edited:
May 16, 2012
Missouri
During the pre-game meeting, explain the strike zone to the coaches. That will cut down on 90% of the grousing.

Have her remind the coaches that she is 15 years old and that this is her second game as an umpire.

On close calls where the coaches get upset, she should consult with the field ump, even if she has no intention of reversing or reviewing the call - taking a pause to discuss can sometimes calm things down, makes the umpires look more professional, and helps achieve safety in numbers when both umpires agree.

Good luck!
As an umpire of 19 years, never do any of the things you suggested.

Jul 31, 2015
As an umpire of 19 years, never do any of the things you suggested.

with respect ….

these things aren’t just suggestions they’re imperative.

parent coaches are can be absolutely brutal towards youth umpires.

given your seniority and experience I doubt you will ever experience that kind of behavior

I also will dare to mention that as a guy you will never experience and can’t ever imagine what it’s like to be a young female in a perceived position of authority standing between two sets of adult male coaches

and, no, I don’t want to get into a verbal spat about who’s right and who’s wrong on this.

Different people have different experiences.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
And something a good friend told me when I mentioned that I wanted to start umpiring when my coaching days were over. He said, "Remember Rule 1. Rule 1 is HUSTLE". If you hustle on the plays to get to the best position to make a call, it makes your game better and adds to your credibility.

THIS THIS THIS...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32