Should umpires signal/announce a fair ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Looking for some clarification on the proper mechanic here.

Should an umpire either signal or verbalize a fair ball? Does it matter where it's hit (before the base/after the base)? Does it matter if it's touched?

I've been told and read somewhere that umpires should announce foul balls (with the arms up mechanic), but there's no need to signal on a fair ball.

FWIW, I'm asking for a high school player of mine who has been umping 10u rec games. She has no formal umpire training, so I try to help her out with some of this stuff.

May 10, 2021
One mechanic is to signal with the arm INSIDE of the baseline (pointing fair).........there is no verbalization (provided you have a good home plate ump moved up into the best position to make the call). The signal should be given as the ball is determined fair. It could be when it is touched or when it splats chalk or when it silently flies over 1st/3rd base.

Foul balls are verbalized. Close foul balls should be verbalized loudly with arms up. Balls fouled away behind the catcher and out of play obvious to everyone there do not need a verbal. Arms up indicate ball is dead and time is out.

I am interested if any other umpires signal "FAIR" other ways.

May 29, 2015
"FOUL!" is big and loud. Don't call this until it stops rolling (before the base), it is touched by a player in foul territory, or it lands on foul ground past the base.

Fair is not something an umpire ever says. At least, not unless you want some funny looks ... and yes, we have all done it once. Once. :)

Like @kennykozman!! said, use the "inside arm" (left arm on the first base line, right arm on the third base line) to point fair when it is fair. Just point straight out, 90 degrees from the baseline. You only need to signal on fair balls that are close or questionable.

Its easier to fix a foul ball you accidentally stayed quiet on than to ... well, you really can't fix a fair ball that you yelled FOUL on. I don't care what MLB thinks.

Glad to see a player getting interested! It is a great way to learn about the game from a new perspective. If she wants to stick with it, she can make some good money, travel a bit, and who knows! If there is anything I can do to help her out, let you guys out know.

May 27, 2022
"FOUL!" is big and loud. Don't call this until it stops rolling (before the base), it is touched by a player in foul territory, or it lands on foul ground past the base.

Fair is not something an umpire ever says. At least, not unless you want some funny looks ... and yes, we have all done it once. Once. :)

Like @kennykozman!! said, use the "inside arm" (left arm on the first base line, right arm on the third base line) to point fair when it is fair. Just point straight out, 90 degrees from the baseline. You only need to signal on fair balls that are close or questionable.

Its easier to fix a foul ball you accidentally stayed quiet on than to ... well, you really can't fix a fair ball that you yelled FOUL on. I don't care what MLB thinks.

Glad to see a player getting interested! It is a great way to learn about the game from a new perspective. If she wants to stick with it, she can make some good money, travel a bit, and who knows! If there is anything I can do to help her out, let you guys out know.

Fully agree with you.

Another question: I have had more experienced umps tell me not to call "FOUL!" for foul balls. Just raise both hands above your head. But, I call it out because I think it is a disservice to the players, especially runners, if you don't. I've seen runners at first sprint all the way through third before the looked/realized that the ball was already in foul territory. What say you?

Mar 1, 2013
To answer your follow up, signal on each foul ball every time. Loud vocalization signal on balls along the line. The foul straight back to the screen that everyone knows is foul doesn't need the huge vocalization.

My dad was battalion commander in a national guard unit when I was growing up. I learned how to use the big voice but also when not to. Comes in handy with this job.

Edited to fix my typo

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Besides ... it's just sexy when the umpire hustles 20 feet up the line, mask in left hand, straddles the line, watches the ball slicing ... slicing ... we have splash down ... and then the umpire booms "FOUL BALL!" as her/his arms explode into the air.

The crowd oohs and ahhs at the rocket gone astray. Umpire hustles back into position ...

tobias-funke-and-scene.gif

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Besides ... it's just sexy when the umpire hustles 20 feet up the line, mask in left hand, straddles the line, watches the ball slicing ... slicing ... we have splash down ... and then the umpire booms "FOUL BALL!" as her/his arms explode into the air.

The crowd oohs and ahhs at the rocket gone astray. Umpire hustles back into position ...

tobias-funke-and-scene.gif
Only 20 feet TMiB?? I hope that piano is tuned!!! :giggle:

May 29, 2015
Only 20 feet TMiB?? I hope that piano is tuned!!! :giggle:

Half way up the line (30 feet) is a bit excessive, and you have to be able to get back for a play at the plate.

That's the thing with a smaller field, it can play heck with umpire's mechanics when they bounce back and forth.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Fully agree with you.

Another question: I have had more experienced umps tell me not to call "FOUL!" for foul balls. Just raise both hands above your head. But, I call it out because I think it is a disservice to the players, especially runners, if you don't. I've seen runners at first sprint all the way through third before the looked/realized that the ball was already in foul territory. What say you?
Surprising. Players are busy playing, not watching the umpire for a ruling fair/foul. Truly is a disservice to the players.
Apples and oranges, but imagine Wimbledon matches where the line judges only used hand signals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee