A Couple of Throwdowns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8iwjG6QC8tGUkpUMUM4NlhRUjQ/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of throwdowns. The first one is ok. Handling Time = 1.23. Pop Time = 2.47. Footwork a little better in the second one, but she didn't handle the ball well so it's much slower. Throws are both on target, and I really like her arm action. She's getting really strong, so we're working on a lower trajectory with her throws. It's not actual game footage, so you can also tell there isn't any sense of urgency. Her game times will be faster, but I can't ever seem to be there filming whenever someone is stealing (DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!)

Keep in mind, DD is 10 (March Birthday) playing 12U. She's coming along nicely. Planning on going to NECC when they come to Houston in December (VERY EXCITED). Playing today and she got her first girl out at home after a wild pitch (NOT A PASS BALL, WIFE WAS VERY SPECIFIC ON THAT DETAIL). Flipped it back to the pitcher and she slapped the tag down. DD was PUMPED.

Thanks,

Josh

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I have the same problem getting game tape.
I'd get her crouch a bit higher, with thighs horizontal, and I'd get her fist behind the glove.
She can use that lower crouch you have now when no runners are on base.
While you're working on the throw, go from the ground up and make sure she steps straight at the target consistently. The upper half will correct for bad footwork, but the result will be sub-optimal.

Glad she's enjoiying it, hope it continues to be rewarding for her.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Fist behind the glove not happening. Wife was college catcher, and that is the one thing she will not let me teach her.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As a parent, you make the choice to watch the play and not get the video or get the video and miss the play. (I missed alot of plays... and a lot of good video!) A tripod set with 2 legs lower so that the camera leans into the fence allows you to shoot the video without having to hold the camera. You just have a lot of footage to cut. When I watch my catchers, I leave the video running and shoot stills at the same time with my SLR.

I would be very interested in seeing her throw against a runner. I watch for what the throwing hand is doing as the pitch crosses the plate. Then foot/hand body work. She's got a strong arm for her age but there are some issues with mechanics. Jay has some great information to share!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Fist behind the glove not happening. Wife was college catcher, and that is the one thing she will not let me teach her.

CA - your DD is looking great for a 10U and will really enjoy and benefit from the NECC clinic!

Have the wife view the NECC video and then slow motion video of your DD throwing during live game situations. They get anxious to throw and you'll see how the hand drifts and becomes exposed - she'll change her mind (unless she took too many foul tips to the mask!) about how the throwing hand is best protected (not to mention pop time improved). As an old college catcher/father of a current college catcher, my one complaint about NECC's training is that it wasn't available when I played.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid