Game footage - finally got some!!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Would the stepping to the left have anything to do with the inside pitch being called on a lefty and her trying to create space?
Catchers should never move left or right on throws to second to work around a batter. Your catcher can tell you if that was her thinking... Most RH catchers tend to drift or step left as they set to throw. Your catcher wants all of their weight and momentum going to their target. Stepping to the side causes the throwing arm to drop as it is pulled left. (This can affect aim and cause elbow issues if repetitive) Here's an example of an older catcher working on her footwork... You can really see the difference setting the left foot quicker makes in the overlay towards the end.

May 1, 2011
Yep. Our pitchers walked 7 in one inning. Lost 6-1. But, from where we started a few months ago, a second place trophy feels good.

May 1, 2011
Totally agree that she shouldn't step to the side. Just suggesting that might have been the reasoning. She's got games tonight. We'll discuss footwork tonight beforehand. Don't want her thinking too much though. She'll start worrying about it during the game, and we need her focused on being a good receiver first.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Totally agree that she shouldn't step to the side. Just suggesting that might have been the reasoning. She's got games tonight. We'll discuss footwork tonight beforehand. Don't want her thinking too much though. She'll start worrying about it during the game, and we need her focused on being a good receiver first.

Leave it alone before the game, start reinforcing the habit in practice.

Dec 3, 2012
Just looking at some of this footage, there's some downsides to her catching. Her hand/glove work is not good. The transfer of the ball is at the hip and it should be at the ear, cutting down on the time it takes to get the ball to second. Also, the scene of her blocking was bad. She went after the ball with her glove and her body was turned the wrong way, away from the plate. The body should be turned towards the plate with her body behind the ball. Those of you who cannot see this need to reevaluate your decision to be a coach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just looking at some of this footage, there's some downsides to her catching. Her hand/glove work is not good. The transfer of the ball is at the hip and it should be at the ear, cutting down on the time it takes to get the ball to second. Also, the scene of her blocking was bad. She went after the ball with her glove and her body was turned the wrong way, away from the plate. The body should be turned towards the plate with her body behind the ball. Those of you who cannot see this need to reevaluate your decision to be a coach.

A little harsh, don't you think? Sure, there are things to improve - as there are for players at every level of the game. What I'm seeing is a young catcher who is doing a great job at her age level, and has the desire to do it well.

As for the ball transfer location, making the transfer out front is taught by a lot of very well-respected catching coaches.

Aug 14, 2013
A little harsh, don't you think? Sure, there are things to improve - as there are for players at every level of the game. What I'm seeing is a young catcher who is doing a great job at her age level, and has the desire to do it well.

As for the ball transfer location, making the transfer out front is taught by a lot of very well-respected catching coaches.

Agreed Eric. What is she 10, maybe 12u? She looked like she was doing great at her age.

On a different note, are the all turf fields pretty common in the warmer regions? Sure would be nice to not have to clean dirt and rocks out of the blocker crevices all the time.

May 1, 2011

Wow!!! So, you're telling me my 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER isn't ready to play for the USA National Team? Looks like it's time to REEVALUATE whether or not I should start telling people "I'm not sure who that kid is, but she's not mine. My kid throws out every runner that tries to steal, and her flatulence smells of roses and strawberries." Get real man. We're all on here to get tips, share successes, complain a little bit, and in the end, celebrate the fact that we are all blessed to have little girls that spend time out of their busy schedules to entertain us by playing ball. Please, by all mean, post a video of your 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER doing it better. These were game situations, and she's still learning. How much of a stud were you when you were IN THE 5TH GRADE???

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Cobra,
The guy says body towards home to me that's wrong and he should reevaluate his decision to call himself softball coach on here. I'm unable to view the video and know it's a tad old but when blocking you direct the opposite way its spinning. So RH pitcher throws screwball you block and direct towards first and the opposite for a curve, you block towards 3rd. Basically stepping/sliding around the ball all in hopes of keeping it right in front of you. I'm def not the know it all, but i wouldn't be a douche after 6 posts. being a dad of a catcher is the most stressful thing to be in softball to me. If a pitcher throws a perfect game do you know who caught them?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach