9 yo feedback needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
Let me start by saying my DD pitched for a 10u traveling and did well for the most part but was inconsistent too. The last tourney her strike/walk ratio was 3:1 which was great. She throws hard, but since the team is moving to 12u next year it will be an adjustment pitching. One thing I want her to work on is her consistency as well as developing a good change up. The two things I have been harping on with her is to finish to the glove of the catcher and to stand tall. She continues to go to her right side, which causes the ball to go inside to the r batter. She does well compensating though. Any feed back along with drills to get this corrected would be greatly appreciated.

Ejay pitching222 - YouTube

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The transition from 10U to 12U from an 11" to a 12" ball and from 35ft to 40ft is a BIG ADJUSTMENT for most pitchers. It took my DD the entire fall to adjust her mechanics and consistently find her release points. I am tell you this because this fall may be a good time for you to let your DD just adjust to the new ball size and pitching distance vs adding new pitches.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
After watching the video I would also comment that she leans to far forward and she has a slight crow hop that you should try to fix before she gets to 14U. It is hard to see much with the video at full speed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is she seeing a pitching coach? She really is typical of most 9 YOs that I teach, but they aren't trying to move up to 12U. She has to work hard, with a qualified coach and keep working all winter. The forward lean is going to be very hard to correct, since she has already pitched at least one season, while doing it.

If she were my student, she would be doing a lot of stork drills and we wouldn't move on until she fixes her posture. At 12U, she needs a fastball, a CU and should be working on one other pitch. In my classes, that is a drop.

Is she age eligible to stay at 10U?

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for all the replies and good advice. To answer some questions: She say a pitching coach when she was 8 and due to his hectic schedule it was hard to get consistent appointments. She will be starting with another pitching coach in November. The reason she will be playing 12u next year is because the team she played with this year will be going 12u and she has formed strong friendships with the other players. We are in a location where there aren't travel teams and the tourneys are 2 hours away. She wil be 10 in September and is the youngest in her class. I do tell her that her right arm drifts from her body when she does pitch inside to rh batters. Really hope she can fix the leaning problem. Thanks again and I will work on your suggestions with her.

Jan 27, 2010
The first thing I would correct would be the stride. Your DD has a up and down stride and it needs to be an up and out. When she lands on her stride leg, all her weight is forward and her momentum is causing the upper body to go over the front foot. This could help with her lean and reduce her weight coming down on her knee, which could become an injury issue if she continues to pitch as she does. Have her drag the toe towards her stride foot and this will distribute her weight and give her more balance at release.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2011
Could you explain more bout the up and out stride.she was told the 2 things she did well was her follow through and her stride. Also what drills would utilize a pool noodle? Thanks for your help.

Feb 3, 2011
I would have her play 10u through next summer and then rejoin the current team if there is still a spot for her prior to next fall.

When it comes to pitchers, I am opposed to rushing their development just to keep up with an older team when going from 10u to 12u. The most dominant 10u pitchers will be fine moving up to 12u a year early, but the really good 10yo's are likely to get rocked in 12u A ball.

Jun 15, 2011
Thank you for your input mojosdad.however i think staying at 10u is not an option not my idea but dd's.i believe the plan is to play ad many 11u tourneys as we can find and play c level 12u teams. Our team is not a club team just a group of girls who love the game and want to get better. Had anyone else gone through their dd leaning and how they resolved this? Thx again. One side note the 2 things my dd has going for her is she loves pitching and she is a hard worker.everynite i get home she wants to pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie