8u Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
A 7-year-old swinging an 18oz bat??

At 60 lbs, I'd suggest something quite a bit smaller and in her favorite color.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
18 ounces isn't a very heavy bat. I wouldn't spend very much, though. I think my DD was using an old Easton 777, when she first started. It was one of the first great bats. If you go too short, there just isn't much of a sweet spot. A 28 or 29 inch, that is very high quality is kinda hard to find. People really like the little bats that look good. I bought a little Synergy one time that was $40.00 and it was promptly stolen.

Apr 15, 2012
My DD loves her Demarini Crystol Bustos. It's a -13 so you can get the length you need in a lighter weight. It has a carbon fiber handle that actually flexes and takes away almost all vibration and hand shock. It runs around $100. My DD swings the 29/16. It actually has very good pop for an aluminum bat!! This will be her back up bat this spring, we have orderd a CF5 -11, she is pretty excited.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
How about the Demarini Cat Osterman.? It is a -11 and is $50.00.

The older Cat Osterman's were the predecessor of the Bustos. DD swung both from the age of 5 till she was 11. Great flex in the handle made it a pretty hot bat for an aluminum. I can tell you that the CF5 actually is a better bat simply because it is a composite and will have even more pop than the aluminum. However, they are quite a bit more expensive. They run right around $300. The problem you will have is that the CF5 can only be used above 60 degrees or it will more than likely crack as opposed to the other 2 aluminums mentioned which can be used in any weather. The other problem you will have is that a CF5 lasts approximately a year or so due to the composite fibers breaking down with any serious practice and game schedule. I would not recommend using any of the three bats in a batting cage or hitting tunnel as they will break from the dense balls and the speed of the pitching machine. The OSterman/Bustos will break where the handle meets the barrel (firsthand experience with that) and the CF5 will crack along the barrel.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2012
How old is your dd? So I will assume from your post that you believe the CF-5 will be a better bat.

Sorry about that. DD is 9 playing 10u A. She is small and needs a light bat. The only reason we're getting her the CF5 is to get her swinging a little heavier bat. I think she is ready. She swings her Bustos very well and has developed good muscle memory with the lighter bat. I'm sure she will still use the Bustos on the very fast pitchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG