8u Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2012
What would be the best bat for an 8u player? At this age does it really make that big of a difference? Went to a tourny this weekend and one team all had CF5 and they were killing the ball but the team was much bigger than ours. We are an 04 team. I have read the posts about the bats in this forum but most seem to be talking about older stronger girls. Information is appreciated.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
At 8U hitting lessons will probably make a much bigger impact than any bat.

As for the actual bat, get one that is the right lenght & weight for her to swing and the color that she likes.

What balls are being used? If they are the hard core leather balls, the bat can make a difference. If they are the Easton Incrediball or Worth Soft Dot RIF-1, the bat itself won't make much difference.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I think it does make a difference even at 8U. More pop is more pop. I'm not spending $300 but my 2004 uses the TPS Zephyr (-12, hand me down from older sisters, very well broken in) and its got great pop. She's barely 50 lbs and hammers line drives to the outfield for extra base hits routinely. The swing is always the thing but you could argue that a faster ball speed or a few extra feet help even more at 8U than the older leagues. Only helps with hard balls though, if you use RIF balls or softies I don't think it really matters.

Apr 4, 2012
I understand about the lessons. She takes private lessons once a week and the team does a one hour hitting session one day a week with a hitting coach. They play with hard core leather balls. To be honest I was just curious if the bats made that big of a difference. She is swinging a $25 dollar easton and some are swinging CF5. I dont want to spend that money right now if it doesnt matter.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I understand about the lessons. She takes private lessons once a week and the team does a one hour hitting session one day a week with a hitting coach. They play with hard core leather balls. To be honest I was just curious if the bats made that big of a difference. She is swinging a $25 dollar easton and some are swinging CF5. I dont want to spend that money right now if it doesnt matter.
Having hit fungos with $25 bats and expensive composites, it does make a difference with the hard core balls.

I agree with axe. If you've got the money get a decent mid-range bat. Again I personally wouldn't shell out $300 for a top composite for an 8U but I wouldn't have a problem with something in the $50 -$125 range. It's your kid and your choice though, you know your bugedt better than I.

Since kids grow out of them so quick at that age, maybe consider having the team all chip in and have one or two "team" bats. Not sure if that would work for your group but something you might want to consider.

Apr 4, 2012
Right now she has Louisville Slugger 2011 Mendoza Fast-Pitch 29in./18oz. on eBay! this bat, she does not like using it at all and really doesnt have very good hits with it. The other bat she has is this Easton SK26 Fastpitch Bat 2011 (-10) Item Number: 10795520. She does pretty good with it. She has been pretty happy with her hitting until this weekend when girls were bouncing them over the fence. They are bigger than her and a little older. I am jsut trying to make sure she has what she needs, and do things the right way for her future not just right now. She is 7 (Nov 04) is 4'5" weighs sixty pounds. Pretty athletic Plays basketball in the winter and does gymnastics one day a week since 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG