8u Bat Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2024
Hi All,

New member here looking for advice on bats as we enter 8u. It looks like you have a great community here and looking forward to learning and helping as DD begins her journey.

DD just turned 8, tall and skinny and strong, we‘ve now played three seasons of Rec and just had our first taste of summer tournament ball in Houston. Last year in 7u coach pitch she used a Mizuno Finch 27 -13. She has good form, one of the highest batting averages in our very big league (.968) but mostly singles, and this summer / fall we will work on hitting with more power. We practice about 3-4 days a week.

It‘s clearly time for her to size up to 28, and I’m totally confused with the range of options. If we stay alloy I would lean to the Marucci Echo Dmnd Alloy (-12), or we could go entry composite with a Slugger Nexus (-12), or a balanced full composite, Demarini CF (-11), or going full monty with a Prism or LXT (-11).

For those of you that “been there / done that / made mistakes“ which way do you suggest? Internet and local coach advice seems to be all over the place.

Thanks very much in advance.

Jul 1, 2022
It depends on you budget.

The first bat you should buy imo is a 28" camwood (or similar style) bat.

Second is hitting lessons.

CF/Prism/LXT are all good choices. I would stay away from entry level composites.

Alloy is still fine, marucci Echo DMND alloy is a good bat.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2021
Just like everything for kids this age...they will grow out of "it" so fast. I tried to stay budget till 12u. 12u is where the game picks up were better gear starts to show and have real benefits.

Feb 14, 2019
Hi All,

New member here looking for advice on bats as we enter 8u. It looks like you have a great community here and looking forward to learning and helping as DD begins her journey.

DD just turned 8, tall and skinny and strong, we‘ve now played three seasons of Rec and just had our first taste of summer tournament ball in Houston. Last year in 7u coach pitch she used a Mizuno Finch 27 -13. She has good form, one of the highest batting averages in our very big league (.968) but mostly singles, and this summer / fall we will work on hitting with more power. We practice about 3-4 days a week.

It‘s clearly time for her to size up to 28, and I’m totally confused with the range of options. If we stay alloy I would lean to the Marucci Echo Dmnd Alloy (-12), or we could go entry composite with a Slugger Nexus (-12), or a balanced full composite, Demarini CF (-11), or going full monty with a Prism or LXT (-11).

For those of you that “been there / done that / made mistakes“ which way do you suggest? Internet and local coach advice seems to be all over the place.

Find a good used composite; you can often find them for $100-$150 that will last until your DD outgrows it and you can sell it to the next youngster for around what you paid for it. Personally, I feel like the Demarini CF line is the way to go for the 27-29 inch, drop 11 range. Balanced, durable, lots of used models available, plenty of pop and what I feel is the biggest sweet spot in those smaller bats.

Oct 23, 2022
Hi All,

My daughter is in her last month of 8U and has spent the last two years playing travel ball in west Texas. I would lean more towards the Demarini CF and Prism. DD who is a very tall skinny young lady who says the Prism is more heavy than the CF. She has used the Prism the last 1.5 years and it does have great pop. I would have your daughter swing both in the store and see which she believes she more comfortable with.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Are they using the Dixie Safety Ball at 8U? I don't see much benefit of using a composite bat unless they are using a solid core ball. We kept it on the cheap side until 2nd year 10U and only then purchased a used CF4. They will be growing out of bats every year. Become friends with families with kids that are a year or two ahead and see if you can buy their old bats.

Jul 15, 2024
Are they using the Dixie Safety Ball at 8U? I don't see much benefit of using a composite bat unless they are using a solid core ball. We kept it on the cheap side until 2nd year 10U and only then purchased a used CF4. They will be growing out of bats every year. Become friends with families with kids that are a year or two ahead and see if you can buy their old bats.
Hi Orange Socks, yes, in Rec they will still use RIF softballs (AD Starr Dixie 5) and in summer tournaments they’ll use regular (hard) 11 inch softballs. Thanks for your reply and thoughts so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym