8 year old DD advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
I'll be a broken record. She's 8, 8, 8. Like many kids that play sports now days they are more of them being pushed a lot harder than when I grew up. And yes we parents are more critical of our own kids. My kid was almost 18 before I gave her half the credit she deserved. But there are many 8 yr olds that are more disciplined and have a more strict daily regime than many adults. Is it unfair to expect perfection from kids that young? Probably so but we still do. Hind sight is 20/20 but I wish I would have been quiet a bit more laxxed with my kid.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
It is interesting what some of the old-time pro athletes say about sports now compared to when they were younger.

Almost everyone says that kids are specializing more and more earlier and earlier.

Tommy John says HS pitchers wouldn't blow out their arms if they weren't overusing their arms so much in fall ball, winter ball, and multiple teams in spring and summer. Tommy John was more into basketball when he was a kid.

Dion Sanders says that because of specialization, nobody could go pro in 2 sports like he and Bo Jackson did. Back in the old days, that was more common. Danny Ainge pitched for the Toronto Bluejays before winning NBA championships with the Boston Celtics. Rick Ruthen played for the Denver Nuggets before pitching for the Philadelphia Phillies. He was the #2 pitcher on a team that won the World Series (Lefty Carlton was the ace). Jackie Robinson lettered in 4 sports in college (football, basketball, track and baseball-- his brother won a silver medal in the 1936 Olympics, finishing behind Jesse Owens). Robinson lettered in FIVE sports in HS (also tennis).

That sort of thing is dying out with 12-month sports.

There is SOME hope. A lot of players still play multiple sports.

A few athletes in this area made D1 teams in their second or third sport.

One guy was a star sprinter and a great basketball player. He started playing football as a sophomore, got a full ride in football at Pitt (where he runs track as well, I think). Some of his friends were stars in track and football, and got D1 football scholarships.

A local girl was all-conference in softball, started rowing as a sophomore, and got a rowing scholarship at Wisconsin.

Another girl was a star at basketball and softball, got D1 scholarship offers for both. She is playing softball at Drake.

One guy around here was on a state championship basketball team, and took up rowing at the end of his senior year. No rowing scholarships for men, but he rows for Wisconsin now. A sophomore now, he was one of the very top freshmen rowers last year.

Apr 7, 2013
My dd is 8 years old. She is currently playing fall ball but this past spring season I started noticing her slacking. Not hustling, not paying attention and just dogging it. When we work out at home she does great. Hustles, charges ground ball, pays attention. Works on the things she does wrong. Just all around better player. When we go to our practices with the team she reverts back to no hustle, not paying attention and dogging it. When she's on she pretty good. I'm just not sure what to do. I've asked her if she likes softball and wants to continue playing and she assures me she does. I'm her coach and I push her pretty hard. Its just frustrating because I know what she is capable of but its just not translating to the field. She has all the physical tools and proper fundamentals. Just not utilizing them. Help

I Coach an 8u TB team and REC, I'd say being around other kids(being social)is probably the biggest difference between home and the field. I have 18 year old who played 10+ years and was DEFINETLY to hard on her at times. Make it fun at 8u, teach her the right way to play the game and by second year 10's first year 12's you'll know if there is a future for her.

Dec 20, 2012
It is interesting what some of the old-time pro athletes say about sports now compared to when they were younger.

Almost everyone says that kids are specializing more and more earlier and earlier.

Tommy John says HS pitchers wouldn't blow out their arms if they weren't overusing their arms so much in fall ball, winter ball, and multiple teams in spring and summer. Tommy John was more into basketball when he was a kid.

Dion Sanders says that because of specialization, nobody could go pro in 2 sports like he and Bo Jackson did. Back in the old days, that was more common. Danny Ainge pitched for the Toronto Bluejays before winning NBA championships with the Boston Celtics. Rick Ruthen played for the Denver Nuggets before pitching for the Philadelphia Phillies. He was the #2 pitcher on a team that won the World Series (Lefty Carlton was the ace). Jackie Robinson lettered in 4 sports in college (football, basketball, track and baseball-- his brother won a silver medal in the 1936 Olympics, finishing behind Jesse Owens). Robinson lettered in FIVE sports in HS (also tennis).

That sort of thing is dying out with 12-month sports.

There is SOME hope. A lot of players still play multiple sports.

A few athletes in this area made D1 teams in their second or third sport.

One guy was a star sprinter and a great basketball player. He started playing football as a sophomore, got a full ride in football at Pitt (where he runs track as well, I think). Some of his friends were stars in track and football, and got D1 football scholarships.

A local girl was all-conference in softball, started rowing as a sophomore, and got a rowing scholarship at Wisconsin.

Another girl was a star at basketball and softball, got D1 scholarship offers for both. She is playing softball at Drake.

One guy around here was on a state championship basketball team, and took up rowing at the end of his senior year. No rowing scholarships for men, but he rows for Wisconsin now. A sophomore now, he was one of the very top freshmen rowers last year.

Probably the most underrated but best all round athlete to ever play was Dave Winfield. Played college baseball and basketball for Minnesota and never played college football. Was drafted in all 3 and chose baseball. He was Bo, Deion and Ainge before the fact. That would be unheard of now days. Still plenty of 2 sport athletes that have to make a choice for college but 3 sport athlete is all but gone.

Jun 25, 2014
Update. Hey thanks for all the great advice. That's why I love this website. She had practice last night and actually did pretty well. Her effort was a lot better. Not perfect but better. Hustling and moving her feet to ground balls. She has been splitting time with another player at first base and she did alright. We have been working on coming off the bag to stop throws and not let them get past you. She did better. So a step in the right direction. I guess when we work one on one she just tries harder and puts more effort in to it. Hopefully in a couple years its all going to click.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I may have to accept the fact that she's not a competitive person. She has a lot of potential if I could get her to bring it.

They don't need to be competitive at age 8 to reach their potential. They only need to enjoy it. I wouldn't make the judgment that someone is not a competitive person based on what you're seeing as an 8-year-old in one particular activity.

One practical suggestion - Often kids who don't hustle are just bored. They need to be challenged more. If she likes playing w/ you, but not as much w/ a team, maybe she needs more individual attention in practices, maybe smaller groups w/ more coaches. I don't know. But I'd brain storm it. Maybe she would be competitive in tennis (individual sport) more than softball (where she's standing around waiting most of the time). I'd be careful not to assume someone is not competitive.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Probably the most underrated but best all round athlete to ever play was Dave Winfield. Played college baseball and basketball for Minnesota and never played college football. Was drafted in all 3 and chose baseball. He was Bo, Deion and Ainge before the fact. That would be unheard of now days. Still plenty of 2 sport athletes that have to make a choice for college but 3 sport athlete is all but gone.

Not only that, but Dave Winfield was a pitcher! At one point they convinced him that he was more valuable as a hitter than a pitcher. He could've gone pro as a pitcher, and might've even made the majors, but he would not have been the huge star he was as a batter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom