76 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Is having a hop considered a bad thing? If so, why? Seen plenty of really good pitchers do it.

In my (again, worthless) opinion, as long as the front leg lands at a good angle, has strong FSR, and with the hips getting back around, I don't see any issue with it. In-fact, I would imagine a little more hip speed could be created. More speed overall, I suppose.

Oct 13, 2017
The posture and front leg is different. Uses the front leg which affects FSR, creating a hop.
Are you talking about a crow hop? If so, I don't see it. She seems to be dragging all the way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is having a hop considered a bad thing? If so, why? Seen plenty of really good pitchers do it.

Whenever a person throws something for speed, whether it's a softball, baseball, javelin, bowling ball, etc, the front leg stops the body from moving forward. The idea is that you want all the momentum created prior to the throw to be transferred to the object. On DFP, we refer to this as FSR (Front Side Resistance).

Some softball pitchers hop after release. Pickens has FSR with the front leg stopping the forward body movement. In the attached picture, you can see the front leg straight as an arrow. After that the front knee unlocks and she does a hop forward.

Attachments

• front-leg-pickens.JPG
    front-leg-pickens.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 25
May 27, 2013
My dd has a similar little hop upon release, and it is definitely more noticeable when she throws her changeup. With her I really think it’s the energy transfer coming through with her drag leg sliding into her stride leg that causes it. To me - I know she is getting good FSR when she does it (and no, I know her mechanics are not ideal).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That’s the entire thing. It’s a fastball with the fingers and hand position can apply spin at an angle. It’s the way it leaves the fingers. If thrown it might be your fastest pitch. I’ve heard you can apply more leverage. The fingers follow through is the angle of spin imparted on the ball.

View attachment 29068

So when you have some tilt, you throw inside the back hip the arm in close to apply that leverage. Like inside out.
Just wanted to say thanks. This is the best clip showing IR I've ever seen.

Apr 12, 2015
As with so many things in pitching (and sports in general) . . . it depends. A hop can indicate a bleeding of front side resistance, which is inefficient. I don't know if its "bad", but its inefficient. On the other hand, a hop can be a release of front side resistance after the ball is released, which is irrelevant. Its one of the harder things to spot in a full speed motion, so a lot of instructors try to eliminate hopping just to be on the safe side.

Its kind of like the finish with the throwing arm/hand. Some want to see the finish palm down, others want to see an elbow point, some insist on bringing the hand up in a faux HE motion. As long as its done after the ball is released none of those motions really matter.

Jul 19, 2021
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear that I was speaking about the hop after releasing the pitch, like Pickens demonstrates in the clip. There seemed to be a negative view of that in this thread which surprised me. I'm in agreement that a hop after release is not a bad thing at all. It's simply a release of energy. At that point, what's done is done and it has no effect. FSR has worked it's magic already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma