2 Seam vs. 4 Seam Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Which is preferable? I believe I've seen and heard both, but I've gotta think that 4 seams breaking wind has got to cut more than a 2 seam grip.

Thanks ahead,
Ken

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Breaking wind? What a choice of words!! Haha. If you have any 'natural' movement at all, the 4 seam is a great pitch. We use both. Because the spin revs are diff. More of a tail break with 4 seams. Now a good location pitch we will throw the 2 seam. It has the long flat spot, thus less movement. Mostly use it as a set up pitch.

Nov 1, 2009
The four seam is more predictable in its movement, where the two seam usually has a mind of its own. For a drop movement we use the four seam and if we are ahead and we want to throw a little garbage breaker then we would throw the two. Both are fine, and it gives your pitcher something to learn.

May 5, 2008
As rowdy said, I've also heard of the 4 seam being used because the path of the ball is less predictable - because it's not cutting through the wind/air with the seam it doesn't necessarily stay on path as well as the 4. If this different look helps keep a hitter off balance, then it definitely has it's uses.

Mar 30, 2009
4 seam is the normal fast ball and the same grip is used for the dropball. we use the 2 seam grip as just another pitch, it will tail in or out @ the plate depending on witch seam she puts more pressure on. this is just what we do, everyone has their own opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321