17yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
In the bigger picture...Maddie has made the decision to not play college softball. I'm sad that this part of her journey is coming to an end sooner than expected, but I am in no way disappointed in her. We have both had a great time with softball, made a million wonderful memories, made a lot of good friends, and I have zero regrets. For the immediate road ahead, we're going to focus on just having fun with her time left in the game.
So will she continue to play Travel Ball this summer? I've always said if my DD decides to not play in college then I'm not footing the bill for Travel Ball. I wonder if my mind would change if actually faced with that scenario? Sure it's fun for her but at what price? My DD's team has 5 out of town tournaments scheduled for this summer. That's tens of thousands of dollars that could go into her college fund instead. Of course being a Finance major, I tend to look at things through the lense of "Does this make financial sense" but we all know Travel Ball definitely does not make financial sense. Lol...... Maybe I would just take her off the National team and put her on a regional team to cut down on the travel expenses. Who knows.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So will she continue to play Travel Ball this summer? I've always said if my DD decides to not play in college then I'm not footing the bill for Travel Ball. I wonder if my mind would change if actually faced with that scenario? Sure it's fun for her but at what price? My DD's team has 5 out of town tournaments scheduled for this summer. That's tens of thousands of dollars that could go into her college fund instead. Of course being a Finance major, I tend to look at things through the lense of "Does this make financial sense" but we all know Travel Ball definitely does not make financial sense. Lol...... Maybe I would just take her off the National team and put her on a regional team to cut down on the travel expenses. Who knows.

She will continue to play as long as she wants to play. If her team travels somewhere this summer, we will make the trip. I've never looked at TB only being justified if it's a path to college ball, and it needing to be an investment towards paying for college.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have always admired your outlook on things. Even though you acknowledge the emotions with certain decisions, you do not allow those emotions to cloud your judgement. The important thing is to move forward with no regrets. She has had a wonderful career (even at a young age), supported by a loving family. In the end, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have always admired your outlook on things. Even though you acknowledge the emotions with certain decisions, you do not allow those emotions to cloud your judgement. The important thing is to move forward with no regrets. She has had a wonderful career (even at a young age), supported by a loving family. In the end, that's all that matters.

Thank you. I've tried to be pretty open about our journey, and include both successes and struggles. I've learned a lot from the people of this community, and it's helped me keep a realistic perspective about her path in the game. One of the biggest things was the understanding that, even though I have played role with all of her teams, this game is still all about her. I hope someone can learn from the experiences I've shared, even if that means they do it totally opposite from what we did.

I will definitely miss the softball experience, and getting to watch my little girl play the game she loves. Softball has been the dictating force in our family life for almost 10 years, and life without it is going to look extremely different. Maddie and I are currently in the process of putting together a woodworking shop in half of our garage (a growing hobby for both of us), and I expect I'll find some projects to build. I also expect I'll spend more time riding my bikes, and I might go back to playing music, too.

I won't miss waking up for 8:00am games.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Don't rule it out entirely. Give it some time but if you find you miss softball, I know there are players, teams and families who could use your perspective.

We shall see. During the time I was a team coach, I did get a lot of enjoyment from helping girls reach a new level, learn a new skill, and grow their self-confidence. That work was truly satisfying. Unfortunately, dealing with parents all too frequently spoils the positive aspects of coaching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA