16yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The journey continues from this thread... https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/15yo-maddie.37426/

I don't think that the swings posted here are ideal, nor do they represent all of what I believe is included in an "elite" swing (although it's getting pretty close these days). There are still areas for improvement in her mechanics, and some days are better than others. That said, she is a consistent and powerful hitter who continues to prove herself against challenging competition. As much as anything, this series of threads is about documenting Maddie's progress, and hopefully it can help someone else in their own journey.

As I stated in the previous threads, I'm not necessarily looking for "help". I'm comfortable with the progress she's making, and the coaching she's currently getting. That said, I welcome input and comments about her swing, and things you're seeing - good or bad.

Maddie's first games as a 16yo, she banged this one a bit over 230'...

She's gone away from the more extreme leg kick she had been using over the past year. She feels better in control of her timing by simplifying it to a tap-back move. There isn't really anything I would change about this swing.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
That pitch was well up in the zone. She has to stand up (come out of her posture a little) to hit it. Don't think you can teach that. Just an athlete with great eye hand coordination. Launch angle was very high. What was the hang time on that bomb?

Apr 17, 2019
That was a pretty swing. Great separation, front side resistance. Well done.
Look forward to seeing how she handles one at the knees.

Sep 19, 2018
She Rakes!!!!! I so enjoy following this. I can only hope my DD (who is currently struggling), gets remotely close to this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That pitch was well up in the zone. She has to stand up (come out of her posture a little) to hit it. Don't think you can teach that. Just an athlete with great eye hand coordination. Launch angle was very high. What was the hang time on that bomb?

This pitcher kept working her high in the zone. In her first AB, she K'd on a foul tip into the catcher's mitt. In this AB, she fouled off a couple more that were up (she probably should have left them alone) before she launched this one. It was definitely in the air a long time, but came off the bat in a damn hurry - LOL.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This pitcher kept working her high in the zone. In her first AB, she K'd on a foul tip into the catcher's mitt. In this AB, she fouled off a couple more that were up (she probably should have left them alone) before she launched this one. It was definitely in the air a long time, but came off the bat in a damn hurry - LOL.
:) Keep CRUSHING those high pitches!

Sep 17, 2009
I like how as she's gotten more comfortable with her sequencing she's opened herself up to bigger movements creating real power. Kudos to her and her coach(es including you). That was also a very nice adjustment.

I also like how when she practices (as we've seen in other videos) she's focused now on results, ie, driving balls over the fence or hitting the foul pole lol....the body moves as it must to deliver BIG results like that, whether in practice or games. Congrats to Maddie. Wasn't long ago she contemplated walking away, right? I hope she is having fun and she takes the game where she wants it to go :)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Nice job with a pitch up in the zone. Two things I notice that I focus on with my kid are the extra bat movement during the load and a slight dropping of the hands. However, it's obvious that neither affected her ability to hit this ball. Good looking transfer and follow-through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802