Jayleen - 15yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It's not the hand action that makes the 'swing down'. What else is going down?

Well the hands are above the intended target. The bodies swing center is angled below so it’s a combination of things. Body extension makes the bat turn up. which has to do w front foot timing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1686233768672.gif

Oppo

1686233838826.gif

Pull

The intent of the hand path creates the arc. Most old school power hitters are Koepka. Most new age oppo guys are Rory. The best blend of power and consistency can do both. Depends on pitch location.

1686234537672.gif

1686234516595.gif

Notice the back foot action. It’s why I despise the back foot anchor. Unless someone is super mobile.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Humans are not rigid bodies (and skaters don't have to hit a target moving 70/95 mph if you were going to bring that up)..purely looking at things from a conservation of angular momentum perspective is Fool's gold.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here is what it is.

View attachment 28126

View attachment 28127

I would say it’s more over the top than anything else. This one shows it well. Folks get fooled by the rotation and body extension phases so they see swinging up. I would just say swing the bat above the chest to start to understand what on top or swing down means. A slice/fade swing in golf would be as close as you can get. All in an attempt to be able to get the head out fast. Like Will here. He’s really smothering/covering the ball.

View attachment 28128

See the barrel not turn at all? But it’s first move is towards the catcher a bit? The barrel turns more on outside pitches mostly or due to a guys hand positioning at toe touch.

But when the masses have been force fed stay inside the ball. Staying on top is really hard to do. Inside the ball isn’t something you do. It just happens. Staying inside flattens the barrel prematurely and delays the barrel. Which slows hand speed and reaction time. As well as dumps the barrel some. Another step basically.

Great swings, more Ferris wheel. Not rotational.

Yes inside the ball can be taught wrong or swinging down even.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Uhhh🤷‍♂️. Not just because of tilt. It’s a Ferris wheel regardless. Trout kills it low.

Yes when you commit the barrel at the right time you can hit up or down. But that doesn’t entail dropping the barrel until the ball says so.

MT is hitting a high pitch here. If he had a Ferris wheel path or an ‘inside the ball’ path the barrel is on a plane too early and is behind. Not necessarily the correct plane. I’ve been saying it for years, once the barrel drops you have committed and can’t adjust any longer.

1686317701010.gif
(The elbow going back to me is the wrist extending)

1686318096348.gif

I think when the swing has a correct directional thought like leading w the knob towards the ball then you can have your best adjustability w each swing. But I think inside the ball is a functional thing not a path thing. Proper wrist extension preset or pre-launch makes inside the ball nothing to think about. It also leverages the top hand earlier so you don’t need to leverage the back elbow. Which fights against drag.

Reactions: TDS
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
On top w wrist extension. Or loading the barrel/hands. The bat never gets behind his shoulder here right? Never gets ‘inside’. Fair ball.

1686318286529.gif

1686318529245.gif

Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802