17yo Maddie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
"Stay inside the ball" is her mental cue.
Doing anything drill-wise to enforce this or is it really just an approach/mental thing in your opinion? What is she doing with the inside pitch (if she gets any) now when she barrels it up? More LC gap?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Doing anything drill-wise to enforce this or is it really just an approach/mental thing in your opinion? What is she doing with the inside pitch (if she gets any) now when she barrels it up? More LC gap?

It started with a mental cue, but Mike has reinforced it with deep side-toss work. Inside pitches still tend to go to the left side, but we are seeing less of the monster pulled foul balls that used to be very common with her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The beginning of the end. Maddie had her first game of her last HS season yesterday.
1646256261666.png

The good news is that a couple of freshmen with travel ball experience are on the team, including a pitcher who is a small step better than the senior that graduated last year. Maddie is excited to work with her, and has again been handed the reins to call pitches (new coach this year). Overall, I expect the team to perform about the same as last year - get slaughtered by the 4 top teams, and beat the hell out of the 3 bottom teams.

Oct 2, 2017
The beginning of the end. Maddie had her first game of her last HS season yesterday.
View attachment 25109

The good news is that a couple of freshmen with travel ball experience are on the team, including a pitcher who is a small step better than the senior that graduated last year. Maddie is excited to work with her, and has again been handed the reins to call pitches (new coach this year). Overall, I expect the team to perform about the same as last year - get slaughtered by the 4 top teams, and beat the hell out of the 3 bottom teams.
Bitter sweet, but Good luck Maddie!

May 16, 2019
The things that comes to mind was having her snap the rear leg ahead of the hips as we did the deep side toss. Maddie has amazing power and quickness. Video doesn't really show her power but all we were trying to do is create a head on collision between the ball and her bat. IMO she had some timing and momentum issues that would prove to be unnecessary to her power and identity as a hitter. Maddie's self awareness and ability to evaluate and change patterns was a lot of fun to be a part of.

The other thing she did was less of pushing her hands away from her body and turned the barrel out from the body.

May 16, 2019
You and Eric have done a nice job with her. You should be proud.
It really was a team effort and most of the heavy lifting was done by the time I joined in. Eric and Maddie were in the early stages of the teenager / dad relationship that we all go through. Haley and Maddie were team mates and as luck would have it Haley was an incoming freshmen at the school I coach at. Eric set up a play date with all of us and it worked out, I was concerned because 2 years prior I had cut Haley's sister from the program. The early days were a lot of fun having both Maddie and Haley hitting together.... And Yes, I'm very proud.

I really like baby Ps swing a lot.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00