Jayleen - 15yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Vladamir Guerrero = 6'2" 245 lb better-than-average major league hitter

Sierra Romero - 5' 5" 128 lb better-than-average fast pitch hitter

Better-than-average is where the similarities end for me. Prefer to teach the young ladies how to swing like a girl. ;)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
View attachment 28124
So, you are saying his hands are a foot away from his armpits here.. like his demo swing?

Lol put them side by side they’re in the same position . Both 4-5 inches away. And why are you so critical about a demo swing? You don’t see the swing down in the game swing??

How about this? He’s really swinging up or level?? Come on man give it up. You’re misinformed

1686192825205.gif

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Long story short. We’ve been busier as a family than we’ve ever been before. Getting video of Jayleen has been difficult with all the running around. She’s been attempting to correct the issues but admittedly not working at it as much as I’d prefer at home.

Videos..... I have some from a couple previous tournaments, but her hitting had been more of the same. The two below show some actual progress and were from this last weekend. They played a 16u B tournament. Pool play teams were atrocious, and we thought the weekend might be a waste of time. Then bracket happened and they saw actual B-level teams. The pitching and everything else was much much better.

Still plenty of work to be done. But the light bulb really came on for her after a lesson with a new hitting instructor yesterday. Great reputation locally. They even covered some upper half stuff with her arms/hands/posture. It was good. Quite a bit of educating her why the standing up was happening and what the fix was going to be. A lot of what I've seen/read on here, but am not knowledgeable enough to regurgitate. I had a few "oh that's what DFP means...." moments.

Way to go Jayleen 👏 . Got some pop!

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Vladamir Guerrero = 6'2" 245 lb better-than-average major league hitter

Sierra Romero - 5' 5" 128 lb better-than-average fast pitch hitter

Better-than-average is where the similarities end for me. Prefer to teach the young ladies how to swing like a girl. ;)
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You teach your kids to have bat drag as some sort of advantage?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Lol put them side by side they’re in the same position . Both 4-5 inches away. And why are you so critical about a demo swing? You don’t see the swing down in the game swing??

How about this? He’s really swinging up or level?? Come on man give it up. You’re misinformed

View attachment 28125

He is swinging down in back. He is swinging more Ferris wheel, diagonal. He is no where near a merry go round.

Funny thing, seen some young at bats of Manny in the ML and I have young stuff on Manny. He was a little wild with the adjustments. But, what are we always saying? It’s about becoming more consistent, consistently hitting it well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He is swinging down in back. He is swinging more Ferris wheel, diagonal. He is no where near a merry go round.

Funny thing, seen some young at bats of Manny in the ML and I have young stuff on Manny. He was a little wild with the adjustments. But, what are we always saying? It’s about becoming more consistent, consistently hitting it well.

Here is what it is.

1686224124474.gif

1686224530172.gif

I would say it’s more over the top than anything else. This one shows it well. Folks get fooled by the rotation and body extension phases so they see swinging up. I would just say swing the bat above the chest to start to understand what on top or swing down means. A slice/fade swing in golf would be as close as you can get. All in an attempt to be able to get the head out fast. Like Will here. He’s really smothering/covering the ball.

1686225579706.gif

See the barrel not turn at all? But it’s first move is towards the catcher a bit? The barrel turns more on outside pitches mostly or due to a guys hand positioning at toe touch.

But when the masses have been force fed stay inside the ball. Staying on top is really hard to do. Inside the ball isn’t something you do. It just happens. Staying inside flattens the barrel prematurely and delays the barrel. Which slows hand speed and reaction time. As well as dumps the barrel some. Another step basically.

Aug 20, 2017
The goal is to get the knob working up as quickly as possible. Watch the knob in the demos, then watch the knob in the game swing. Most players take the knob down too far before turning it up. It has to go down some due to where it is in the stance. IMO the best hitters get the knob working up sooner rather than later.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Here is what it is.

View attachment 28126

View attachment 28127

I would say it’s more over the top than anything else. This one shows it well. Folks get fooled by the rotation and body extension phases so they see swinging up. I would just say swing the bat above the chest to start to understand what on top or swing down means. A slice/fade swing in golf would be as close as you can get. All in an attempt to be able to get the head out fast. Like Will here. He’s really smothering/covering the ball.

View attachment 28128

See the barrel not turn at all? But it’s first move is towards the catcher a bit? The barrel turns more on outside pitches mostly or due to a guys hand positioning at toe touch.

But when the masses have been force fed stay inside the ball. Staying on top is really hard to do. Inside the ball isn’t something you do. It just happens. Staying inside flattens the barrel prematurely and delays the barrel. Which slows hand speed and reaction time. As well as dumps the barrel some. Another step basically.

Nailed it !! The demo dry swings of most pros are lacking proper body usage. The feel is real when the body sequences along with the barrel path.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478