14yo struggling with SO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
The only thing I’m addressing is how she can stop missing the ball. Her hands and arms are all over the place as she starts her swing. Simply place the bat on her shoulder near her neck. Hands should be close enough that she can almost kiss the back of her bottom hand. They stay there until the hips start the swing. It won’t feel powerful but it is powerful and very accurate. Seems too simple to work, but it does.
Once she gets her confidence back she can fix any other issues.
Get rid of the fake bunt thing!!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The only thing I’m addressing is how she can stop missing the ball. Her hands and arms are all over the place as she starts her swing. Simply place the bat on her shoulder near her neck. Hands should be close enough that she can almost kiss the back of her bottom hand. They stay there until the hips start the swing. It won’t feel powerful but it is powerful and very accurate. Seems too simple to work, but it does.
Once she gets her confidence back she can fix any other issues.
Get rid of the fake bunt thing!!
Per the location of the hands, and as many hitting coaches mention, her hands should be the equivalent of where the top hand should be to punch someone in an alley. A position of power. The bat is actually located in that area at the edge of the shoulder. The hands lift up and then, slightly do the tip and rip. For the OP, also notice the knee chase that I mentioned.

Scott Sarginson (Ssarge) was a great coach. His DD had a very nice college career. I miss him and his observations. He helped so many.

Mar 2, 2021
All this talk about getting super technical on her swing vs me trying to say it's all about how you feel ... been watching clips of my daughter through the season. Early in the year she was stepping out while fading away. Best result is a weak slice, worst is you go 0 for your first 8 games. Lately she's been doing an efficient toe tap and hitting more and more doubles. No one taught her to do this. No one coached her on it or suggested it. She just started doing it. She feels better, and wow, she fixed it herself. It's all about how you feel. Her little brother has been struggling all year, asked to work on hitting and we've been trying to do "distraction" drills to keep it fun and take the tension off and I notice the last week or so he's doing some kind of Japanese style thing with his lower half for balance and timing and he's starting to hit. He just started doing it. He figured it out himself.

I'm not a know it all but we have an older son who played through HS and we learned a lot of things the hard way and trying to be different now.

Don't bombard them with the minutiae of hitting. As coach ballgame says saying elbow up doesn't help. Just support them in feeling better and being able to handle what comes and I bet you won't need a swing coach.

Mar 2, 2021
BTW I'm not saying you never need instruction or to clean up your swing. But when the problem is clearly mental ... and 90% it is, especially timing, etc ... address that. If you feel good, that fixes a lot of technical issues

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We're at a loss. DD is a big strong power hitter that can really make things happen at the plate when she connects, but more often than not she doesn't. She is consistently under the ball or just flat out late - no matter the speed. Batting coach says her swing is near perfect, and she just needs more at bats. This coach has the top hitters in our area and she's been with him 2 years. Problem is, when she consistently SO, she understandably gets pulled out of the lineup. She has been dropping her hands at the plate as of late. Before that, it was rolling her wrists. Timing has always been an issue. She also struggles in the batting cage, and she goes 5-6 days a week, but hits beautifully off the tee and soft toss. She hasn't hit consistently for years, but man when she does it is a thing of beauty. How can we help her become more consistent and stay in the lineup on Sundays?

It looks like she is trapping the hands behind the body. One of the geometries of the launch position is for the hands to stay in-line with the front shoulder regardless of how far the shoulders are turned inward. They should be inline and over the back foot. She doesn’t have this geometry, it’s off.

She stretches to far merry go round and not enough up/back,

Experiment with the hands away from the body and loading better.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
It looks like she is trapping the hands behind the body. One of the geometries of the launch position is for the hands to stay in-line with the front shoulder regardless of how far the shoulders are turned inward. They should be inline and over the back foot. She doesn’t have this geometry, it’s off.

She stretches to far merry go round and not enough up/back,

Experiment with the hands away from the body and loading better.
I came here to say this, you beat me to it lol.
Based off of the in game video, the hands are trapped and that little bit can/will affect her timing to the ball. Why your HC hasn't addressed that, I'm not sure. My DD would wrap her bat around her head if she kept her hands too high, which affected her timing enough that she would foul off/flare good hittable pitches. She tried telling herself to not wrap but just couldn't grasp it. Finally what fixed it starting with her hands a little lower. I say this because sometimes all it takes is just a small adjustment to make big gains.

I also see her stepping in the bucket a bit as well, which would pull her off the ball.

IMO, compare and contrast video with your DD, involve her in the process. Find out what easily works for her and what she's able to repeat consistently. Try using internal/external cues. Don't be afraid to experiment, no two hitters are exactly the same. Unfortunately, many HC's(PC's as well) use cookie cutter techniques to teach their students. While that approach works for some, many are left by the wayside because of it.

Good luck on your journey.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I see dropping of Hands, the only difference is on her load, she separates her hands down at an angle to the catchers mask. Most kids just load and dip, she looks like she's going at a down angle when dipping. Everyone goes through it, she'll be fine in the long run. Just keep it simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym