14yo struggling with SO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like the tee. The hands back arm/elbow is pretty high in the stance. As long as she has that rhythm to get them back and back in a better position. The higher the hands and back elbow/upper arm the more you swing down. Example is Nelson Cruz, he said down and through and so did Ryan Howard. The arm just has farther to travel. Another one was Delgado, said the same. Down and through.

But,she is a little down out front I think.

The front knee might be bent a little more, As the back leg turns inward, the opposite happens to the front column and front leg it turns or sets a new bow taken the slack out. They then let it go, that’s when go see it go from flexed to firm a back to flexed quickly.

The backside is the most important, it is going from bow into inwards spirals with the torso like a wave as the slingshot snaps. The front leg just has to catch the sling shot. Can’t shoot a cannon out of a canoe..

IMG_5154.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Drill with the bat on her neck. During the drill the bat stays on her neck until she swings. During game swings it doesn’t come far from her neck. Look at college players. Forget baseball players. We have excellent fastpitch players to serve as role models.
Fastpitch hitters generally have terrible bat drag, and putting the bat on the shoulder is one reason why.

The first move with the bat head should be back toward the catcher and down - NOT fighting gravity by going up to vertical.

After the stride, the rear forearm must be flat and the bat head should be generally up abt 55 degrees.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fastpitch hitters generally have terrible bat drag, and putting the bat on the shoulder is one reason why.

The first move with the bat head should be back toward the catcher and down - NOT fighting gravity by going up to vertical.

After the stride, the rear forearm must be flat and the bat head should be generally up abt 55 degrees.

The bat on the shoulder is a way to practice taking the arms out of the swing. It doesn’t mean the hands are dead.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The bat on the shoulder is a way to practice taking the arms out of the swing. It doesn’t mean the hands are dead.

I think what you mean is use the arms as they are intended.. bc they’re used. But I understand what you mean by take them outta the swing. It’s actually more like connecting it than taking it out imo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Apologies OP. I never really gave your DD a fair assessment. Although I did say her stride is backwards.

I think your DD moves well. I think she’s been mis taught.. her path is in to out, severely. You will need to teach her the opposite.. how to pull the ball. It’s the concept that was taught to her. Change the concept. ?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think what you mean is use the arms as they are intended.. bc they’re used. But I understand what you mean by take them outta the swing. It’s actually more like connecting it than taking it out imo.

The arms are used well in support of the hands. The arms have to “transfer”, they are sometimes used in different ways to just make contact. The problem is when they are used in that manner (just make contact) all the time resulting dead hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968