14yo struggling with SO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
My daughter improved drastically after several months of lessons, but being late is her big issue. For her, it's all indecision. She's still not confident enough to consistently commit early and swing.

This is true for a lot of girls who have a decent swing. The concept of "yes-yes-yes-yes" just seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Get them to think the swing is starting as you make the first move: The sit, setting the lower body as you lift the stride foot.

May 3, 2023
The Founder of our organization is a High School D1 Coach, who perennially has his team in the hunt for the state title.
His hitting secret: he front tosses from 6 Feet! His toss is just a wrist snap but it gets to batter so fast, all she can do is swing quickly to where the ball is pitched.
His 14U team last season won several 16U tournaments!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
When she strides she lands on a straight leg. This causes most of the problems.

You MUST land with a BENT front leg. Then it straightens to assist the front hip to finish the rotation.

Notice her front leg never straightens. This forces her to push both her biceps away from her torso (very bad). This results in a weak swing with the bat head behind the hands at contact, and the bat head will generally be below the ball also.

So practice the stride only by picking the front knee straight up, and landing on a very bent leg. You can fix it in a few days if you work at it.

dfp-2024-0703.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
My daughter improved drastically after several months of lessons, but being late is her big issue.

You must stride on EVERY pitch. Begin the stride when (or at 12 oclock) the pitcher releases the ball. The front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway there. (pitch is .400 secs, and swing is .200 secs)

The simple fix is to randomly hold the ball in the cage. If they didnt move, then yell and scream and throw things. Do this until they are 80 years old.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
You must stride on EVERY pitch. Begin the stride when (or at 12 oclock) the pitcher releases the ball. The front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway there. (pitch is .400 secs, and swing is .200 secs)

The simple fix is to randomly hold the ball in the cage. If they didnt move, then yell and scream and throw things. Do this until they are 80 years old.
seems reasonable

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
When the pitcher moves, you start to move. Your form doesn't matter if your chasing your rear hip load and trying to make up time, because you started your loading movement late.

But from the original ask, I do see drop and drag...could be your typical thing that creeps in from time to time, or a timing- issue where they are late and chasing to catch up.

Oct 25, 2009
Tee work from yesterday. Working solely on not dropping the hands. This is more true to her swing when she isn’t rushing through.

Look at most any batter from any team that played in the WCWS. I don’t believe you will find many, if any, that have that rear elbow that high and that far back. Most of the college players have a much more compact swing. Again, her main issue as far as contact is not knowing where her bat is during the swing. Appears to be a small zone that her bat goes through. And occasional the pitcher hits that zone.
Drill with the bat on her neck. During the drill the bat stays on her neck until she swings. During game swings it doesn’t come far from her neck. Look at college players. Forget baseball players. We have excellent fastpitch players to serve as role models.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Just so my last post isn’t misconstrued. There are many great male and female instructors. A few examples, Matt Antonelli, Josh Cathcart from hittingdoneright.com, Meg Rembilack from Megrem softball. And more than a few on here. Straightleg, cannonball, cornbread, for example.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968