14yo struggling with SO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The arms are used well in support of the hands. The arms have to “transfer”, they are sometimes used in different ways to just make contact. The problem is when they are used in that manner (just make contact) all the time resulting dead hands.

Yeah you could say ‘everything’ is in support of the hands tho. A more detailed description would be.. the arms pull and throw the bat from above after rotation starts. ?

1720186070402.gif

May 20, 2016
Don't really see the angle from any of the vids. And personally, i think people way over think hitting mechanics. Been around for while now and the thing that i always see with hitters that have difficulty is they don't look at the ball. Try getting a video from the front and lock onto the eyes. The telling part for me is on the pitches not swung at. If they don't follow the ball into the catchers glove with their eyes, they're not looking at the ball at the point of contact. Simplest explanation usually the correct one.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Don't really see the angle from any of the vids. And personally, i think people way over think hitting mechanics. Been around for while now and the thing that i always see with hitters that have difficulty is they don't look at the ball. Try getting a video from the front and lock onto the eyes. The telling part for me is on the pitches not swung at. If they don't follow the ball into the catchers glove with their eyes, they're not looking at the ball at the point of contact. Simplest explanation usually the correct one.

I have clips of hitters closing their eyes.

I never tell them to follow the ball into the catchers mitt. Don’t want the head to turn in that direction.

May 20, 2016
So you're advocating closing your eyes when you swing? As long as you have the correct swing it will work out?

Oct 25, 2009
The actual point of contact is the brain’s calculation of where and when the bat meets the ball. Also known as hand eye coordination. So, yes, your eyes could actually be closed. As an aside, most, probably all, elite fastpitch pitchers can throw strikes blindfolded.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Yo @efastball are we gonna hash this out?

Pushing your feet thru as you say will produce more drag. That’s not how the lower half works.

I concede that if you pump your body full of steroids, Bonds may not have to use the leverage trick with the back leg that everyone else uses.

Here is a little montage for you to study the stretch of the back leg. Most MLB hitters stride fully with the back leg (and for bonus points... they keep the back heel on the ground as long as possible - which is the opposite of what most instructors teach)
batters-at-toetouch.png

However, the pitcher or catcher view is the best angle to study the bent front leg on (probably every) MLB hitter.

Notice Bonds' bent front knee (after stride), just before the swing.
bonds bent front knee..jpg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So you're advocating closing your eyes when you swing? As long as you have the correct swing it will work out
I even have glasses that take away parts of the balls flight. You then must track and predict the balls flight with less info. Your predicting where the ball is heading and how to intersect the ball with your barrel.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I concede that if you pump your body full of steroids, you may not have to use the leverage trick with the back leg that everyone else uses.

Here is a little montage for you to study the stretch of the back leg. Most MLB hitters stride fully with the back leg.
View attachment 29813

However, the pitcher or catcher view is the best angle to study the bent front leg on (probably every) MLB hitter.

View attachment 29814

Did you just say Barry is a hack?! Wow. What lengths we will go to save some.. lol

Yeah the front leg is bent bc it’s the one that’s striding! Like when you walk.. The back leg is a post. JR is the same. Mookie & Trout as well. They use proper technique before chasing power.

Bottom line your load and stride should match your gait cycle w a few nuances of course..

And for the hundredth time.. when describing motion you should put up examples of motion. Still pictures are so old and just serve their purpose as mantle pieces or as one direct moment in time or for an old guy to mislead folks into believing he actually knows what he’s talking about. Here’s another example of a great hitter that use the front leg to stride.. this is your model right?

1720616556888.gif

It appears that his back leg is extending but the front leg had already started its descent so that’s not striding w your back leg or it would have extended earlier to push AP forward. Cause and effect doesnt discriminate. Guess again hack! lol

Watch closely E.. he torques the leg for stability and leverage which helps propel him forward to his center so he can stride w his front side. Which helps create timing and adjustability. But the tell is in AP stance. See how he sets up 50/50? That will promote proper gait which will lead to proper timing w proper closure when needed.

Just remember TM likes the back leg to stride also.. he’s revised lately he can’t deny the correct way either. You should too!

Old back leg stride. Strike out king.
1720617030911.gif

New front leg mvp season

1720617080235.gif

He’s been the best hitter in baseball after he stopped using the rear leg for striding & power. Go figure

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I concede that if you pump your body full of steroids, Bonds may not have to use the leverage trick with the back leg that everyone else uses.

Here is a little montage for you to study the stretch of the back leg. Most MLB hitters stride fully with the back leg (and for bonus points... they keep the back heel on the ground as long as possible - which is the opposite of what most instructors teach)
View attachment 29813

View attachment 29814
Every hitting coach should have this montage posted on their cage and hitters should practice getting into a similar position in front of a mirror.
Also, you can hit from this position, losing only 2 to 4 mph of bat speed. Hitting from this position simplifies the swing and also assures the hands stay back (creating stretch) and do not leak forward prior to heel down, elbow down. Then the front leg straightening to assist hips rotating.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831