12U DD Update--Need some new eyes/suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
this is how I think about it....

Find some type of short platform, such as one of those "steps" that are used for aerobic exercises. Get in a batting stance so that your rear foot/leg is on top of the platform and lift your front leg so that it is a few inches away from your rear leg but not touching anything. Basically dangling. Coil/turn/twist into your rear hip but resist with your core so that your belly button and sternum do not coil/turn/twist while your rear hip does. Now allow your body to stride toward the pitcher (front foot striding off the platform), but attempt to control the move out by utilizing the hip/core resistance you are creating. Instead of allowing yourself to simply fall forward, attempt to control the motion. Watch what happens with your shoulder line. NOTE: Also make sure that you are not too upright while doing this. Sit into your hips/butt as you are striding forward.

I hope that makes sense. I am not as good at explaining these things as some others on this site.

Would you get a similar result by putting a wedge of some sort under her rear foot? Is that the feeling she should be getting?

Here's a live shot from front toss. I can really see the level shoulders here. It seems we are struggling taking the swing from the tee to live pitching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Would you get a similar result by putting a wedge of some sort under her rear foot? Is that the feeling she should be getting?

Here's a live shot from front toss. I can really see the level shoulders here. It seems we are struggling taking the swing from the tee to live pitching.

In my opinion the wedge would be fine. But it is more about being able to control the move out. In order to do that, she will need to create resistance. If done correctly, the attack position should improve. Just keep in mind that the attack position is the result of the resistance, not the creator of the resistance. Said in another way, it is possible to get into the attack position without having the proper resistance (not what we want)

NOTE: In your next post you show that you have caught onto one of the biggest traps out there. Still shots can be a valuable tool, but they need context. And your statement "it's how we got there" is perfect context.

Your daughter is off to a good start. Keep working and having fun. I was watching a 12u game on Saturday and I think your DD would have been one of the best hitters on the field.

Aug 28, 2012
Here's what I would have her try....Start in the Tewks Go A! drill position and a$$/bb from there.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here's what I would have her try....Start in the Tewks Go A! drill position and a$$/bb from there.

Looks like I have something else to look up. "A$$/bb" I am familiar with and is essentially what I was talking about. "Tewks Go A" I am not.

Just did a search. Looks like a stork drill with a low hand set. Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Looks like I have something else to look up. "A$$/bb" I am familiar with and is essentially what I was talking about. "Tewks Go A" I am not.

Just did a search. Looks like a stork drill with a low hand set. Does that sound about right?

That works for me as a descriptor. The main thing IMO while you are in the stork position is to be relaxed. Not all loaded up. Relax. Then the sequence from there is coiling (a$$/bb) as a core action, still largely relaxed with the arms as they are along for the ride of the a$$/bb. From this point you can get into the "release" of the initial a$$/bb as the transition into loading and into the "missing frames" / stretch / truth position from which you can "turn the barrel" (I prefer "whip the ever loving crud out of the barrel at the ball with both hands"). Pretty much covers all the bases but more importantly puts them in the right sequence.

Edit: that's my utilization of the Tewks Go A! In conjunction with a$$/bb. Not necessarily meant as a description of the original Tewks Go A.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That works for me as a descriptor. The main thing IMO while you are in the stork position is to be relaxed. Not all loaded up. Relax. Then the sequence from there is coiling (a$$/bb) as a core action, still largely relaxed with the arms as they are along for the ride of the a$$/bb. From this point you can get into the "release" of the initial a$$/bb as the transition into loading and into the "missing frames" / stretch / truth position from which you can "turn the barrel" (I prefer "whip the ever loving crud out of the barrel at the ball with both hands"). Pretty much covers all the bases but more importantly puts them in the right sequence.

Pretty damn good Noon...

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Yesterday we only had a few minutes after pitching practice so we worked on Turning the Barrel and keeping the distance between the elbows the same and not collapsing the rear elbow. It seemed she understood this for the first time where before I'm not sure she did. We started slow so she could feel it. We did not work her lower half at all due to the limited time.

I'm letting her read y'all's suggestions as we discuss what we need to do. Hopefully we can work on the lower half and her load to attack position tonight.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A drill I use and refer to by the names of the "Stork Drill", "Florida Drill", "Ethier Drill" and "Lead Leg Lift Drill"

Good drill to help learning the sequence of "go forward" and then "prepare to throw". Helps give a sense of the hands providing balance during the move out.

Read Noon's post above and see if that description might connect with you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl