10u pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
What are the top 10u pitchers in your area/state throwing. I've seen the chart that says avg 10u 38-42 top kids upper 40s low 50s rare. DD plays in fl and the top kids are 44-47. I've seen most of the A teams this season. I only know 1 kid that is close to 50. I've been talking with a guy from GA and he tells me almost every A team in GA has a kid throwing 50. Is fl that far behind?

I think these are the numbers you are referencing and they are pretty accurate IMO unless of course you ask a bucket dad who will tell you his DD is the rare exception every time:

10U 35-45 anyone hitting 50 is the rare exception

12U 43-53 over 55 again the exception

14U 45-55 some good pitcher will start pushing 60

18U (HS) 50-62 anything over 65 is the exception

College most in the 60s with the flamethrowers in the low 70s

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It of course, depends on how long they have had lessons. I think that 35 mph, would be pretty average for any beginner, that I have. Age doesn't matter.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What are the top 10u pitchers in your area/state throwing. I've seen the chart that says avg 10u 38-42 top kids upper 40s low 50s rare. DD plays in fl and the top kids are 44-47. I've seen most of the A teams this season. I only know 1 kid that is close to 50. I've been talking with a guy from GA and he tells me almost every A team in GA has a kid throwing 50. Is fl that far behind?

In lying about speed, yes it would appear that FL is behind GA in that catagory.

Sep 18, 2011
A few years ago, when DD was 10, we went to Johnson City, TN for 10U ASA "A" nationals (finished T13, stong team). During practice games, nearly every coach had a radar gun out and was scoping the competition. Most at this level (and remember these were truly the best 10U teams in the country) were in the upper 40s to very low 50s. One girl from Ohio (who has sinced moved to California) was in the UPPER 50s. She was (and probably still is) absolutely unbelievable. But the claim that EVERY 10u team in GA has a kid throwing 50... I find that very hard to believe. In fact, I don't.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In lying about speed, yes it would appear that FL is behind GA in that catagory.

Every time I read a thread about pitching speeds I laugh to myself remembering the YouTube video of that grandfather who was shoving the radar at the ball as the pitch was coming in! LOL

Oct 22, 2009
PA

You need to buy less accurate radar guns like the ones they sell in GA.:rolleyes:

Thing1Thing2

Softball
Jan 25, 2013
Georgia
Well I am in a mood & this topic just heats my temper. In fall I spoke to USFA director and he thinks in GA alone their are close to 100 10u TB teams... And based on what I've seen, I would say the top 5-8 A teams probably have a pitcher that throws close to 50! Do they throw 50 every pitch? No! Or even every game? No.
I'm starting to take personal offense to people who say it can't be done. I do have a daughter that throws hard. I'm just a mom. I don't catch her, but I know the coaches/ or other dads who do catch her say she throws hard. The infamous radar gun has shown she throws 47, but it's a cheap one and obviously calibrated in GA, so who knows what her speed is. But I feel that this topic takes away from all of these girls hard work and that are genetically inclined at an early age! And I believe there is a new generation of pitchers coming up. They've gotten better instruction & they are learning at a younger age.
So please don't take away all the training, push ups, finch windmill and hours of practice she puts in daily just because at this age she throws hard.

Tangent over

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl