10U Coach Giving Take Sign on 3-0 Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
If children always did what their parents told them to do. Why would parents need to use discipline with their children?

Apply learning discipline or be disciplined.

choices choices choices

Jun 8, 2016
If children always did what their parents told them to do. Why would parents need to use discipline with their children?

Apply learning discipline or be disciplined.

choices choices choices
So listening to a coach when he gives a 3-0 take sign is going to make them clean their rooms when you ask? I am on board with that..where do I sign up? I change my opinion on the discussed topic.

Apr 14, 2022
POP Quiz:

So if teaching all this hitting strategy is a priority, then why do you need to give them a take sign 3-0?

A. Because they didn't learn it

or

B. Because you did a shirt job of teaching it

If it's a priority and you taught them well enough to understand not to hit 3-0 pitches even if it's grooved fat over the heart of the plate, then why is the take sign necessary? They already should know what to do.
You are correct. The coach gave the sign, it had already been taught.
The only way to learn discipline in this scenario is to give the green light.

All the kids I worked with at that age according to their parents were the next Alo. So we worked on swinging away.

I also want to point out most players at that age need encouragement to swing.

Jul 14, 2018
When I coached 10U Rec we had four signs: swing away, take, bunt, and steal. There was never any grand strategy at play, we just wanted hitters and base runners to get into the habit of getting a sign and executing it.

A 3-0 count is likely the only time a kid would see the take sign, so show it to them. See if they get it. If they swing anyway or ask later why they were told to take, it’s a coachable moment. That’s a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
A coach recently playing 10U Softball in a 10U traveling city league gave the player a take sign on a 3-0 count while leading in the 4th inning by a score of 6 to 0. Is this the correct way to teach softball? As a parent how should you approach the coach?

The correct way to teach softball...from 10U rec to the championship round of the WCWS, if the pitcher can't find the strike zone, don't help her. You don't see Gasso's crew or any other college team swinging at 3-0 absent some rare and very specific reason. There can be a time/place for a swing at a 3-0 grooved pitch, but 99%+ of the time, the bat is staying put. For the love of God and smoked brisket, please don't go anywhere near the coach for this or anything like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414