10U Coach Giving Take Sign on 3-0 Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
A coach recently playing 10U Softball in a 10U traveling city league gave the player a take sign on a 3-0 count while leading in the 4th inning by a score of 6 to 0. Is this the correct way to teach softball? As a parent how should you approach the coach?

Is THIS the only gripe you have with the coach ? You have gotten and will get differing opinions about this call ... BUT if you want to approach the coach about this and your DD stays in softball for very long you're gonna need to step up your pre game meds .... Just sayin' ...

Oct 26, 2019
Let’s assume the goal is to win the game, then taking 3-0 is generally a good idea. It is a great idea if there are no runners in scoring position. The best way to help your team, as a hitter is to not get out. Walking is a great way to not get out.

Now, if there is a runner in scoring position, and I like my batter up to bat better than my own deck, better than I will generally let them swing away.

Let’s assume the goal is development, then I could care less if the kids swings or not. I find it odd though that some teams will swing 3-0 all the time because “development“, but then they babysit the kids the entire time they’re on the bases and called every pitch.

Apr 14, 2022
How about
+ batting/ being in the box, is more than just swinging a bat.
+We don't know if the batter has previously been given a take sign and this may be their opportunity to learn seeing that signal.
+ Applying the signal they have been given. Aka following the coaches direction.
+They can learn why the coach is making a strategic decision. Because it may be for different reasons in that moment.
+Takes the pressure off of the moment.
+To get a good look
If a strike is thrown see what that looks like.

With the basic information of the team is up 6 and 0. I would be a coach saying the green light is on hit it if you like it.
These are largely known items to the batter prior to the take sign. The batter watched 3 balls. By executing the take the others are previously learned skills.
The strategy is the coaches not the batters, the only way to be the batter’s is for a green light.
Pressure is a part of the game, you can get a good look with a green light.
IMO this is an example of commanding not teaching. Might as well be playing Simon Says.

May 13, 2023
Good chat,
These are largely known items to the batter prior to the take sign.
Hmmm that seems like a large assumption at the 10u rec level.
However I would agree that a coach could talk to the team previous to games about if it's a 3-0 count.
Coach them at that time what they would prefer them to do. And not have to give a signal.
That said coaches giving signals to batters is common. Regardless of count.
For instance the coach could then give a swing away in the momment of 3-0 if they wanted.
(Hit the ball) to instill in the batter they want them to swing. Possibly prompt that shy batter to swing at the next pitch because it might be a good opportunity pitch. Would just be a choice of strategy.
The strategy is the coaches not the batters,
The coach is running the TEAMS strategy. Yes it's up to the batters/ offense to work together applying the strategy.
>>>Coaches calling signals out is not only for the batter but also the runners on base

Pressure is a part of the game, you can get a good look with a green light.
Agree you can get a good eye with a green light. But can get a good eye without pressure with the take signal.
IMO this is an example of commanding not teaching. Might as well be playing Simon Says.
That is one perspective commanding.
However the direction that comes from it is a 'plan'. with that is learning different plans of execution.
Good thing there are different strategies and application of those plans.
Makes for a more interesting game.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
That “ consciousness” is there on 2-0 and 3-1 as well..should we give take signs there as well?
It's not the count, it's the thought that the coach puts in the hitter's head.

“You, Yogi,” snapped Bucky. “Go in there and hit. I realize that you’re in a slump, but you aren’t thinking enough at the plate. Think before you pick out a ball. Make sure it’s good before you swing. Think!”
The Yankee manager gave his hero a brisk pat on the back and sent him into the fray. Yogi struck out most inelegantly and stamped angrily back to the bench, muttering away to himself in a corner of the dug-out. After a while the curious Bucky wandered down and listened to him.
Yogi was repeating over and over, “How can a guy hit and think at the same time?”

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Teach your hitters plate discipline. If you do that there's no need for a take sign. If the pitcher throws it fat crush it. If it's in the wheelhouse hammer it. If it's borderline use discretion. If it's a ball don't swing.

I want my hitters in the box with a hitters mentality and not looking to get a walk. I had a take sign, but we rarely used it. If you've taught plate discipline then trust your kids. If you haven't done your job as a coach then you have to micromanage each situation.

I've seen too many pitchers groove one because they're behind 3-0, and the batter has the automatic take sign, and that's the only hitter's pitch that they see. Take advantage of a pitcher who has fallen behind in the count. The pitcher is going to take advantage of you if she gets ahead in the count.

Oct 26, 2019
Teach your hitters plate discipline. If you do that there's no need for a take sign. If the pitcher throws it fat crush it. If it's in the wheelhouse hammer it. If it's borderline use discretion. If it's a ball don't swing.

I want my hitters in the box with a hitters mentality and not looking to get a walk. I had a take sign, but we rarely used it. If you've taught plate discipline then trust your kids. If you haven't done your job as a coach then you have to micromanage each situation.

I've seen too many pitchers groove one because they're behind 3-0, and the batter has the automatic take sign, and that's the only hitter's pitch that they see. Take advantage of a pitcher who has fallen behind in the count. The pitcher is going to take advantage of you if she gets ahead in the count.
Assuming 60-65% strikes which is about the norm for good control in my experience, the odds of the pitcher throwing 3 strikes in a row is about 22-28%. Your odds of drawing a walk is better than your odds of getting a hit if you just took all 3 pitches. Now, I am not advocating for that, but if you are playing the numbers and trying to win it’s a solid strategy. If there is no runner in scoring position then a base runner is more important. The odds of getting 3 hits in a row aren’t great either.

Point being, there is more strategy involved and more situations to have a blanket rule to either take 3-0 every time or let them swing every time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00