10U Coach Giving Take Sign on 3-0 Count

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
food for thought.....3-0 count. It is not about taking or swinging but teaching discernment.
3-0 count batter is looking for something they can drive hard...our thought is "nothing but a double" with a 3-0 count. Teach plate discipline and approach-this has to happen at practice/lessons.

And as OS mentioned what is the situation with the hitter.

My DS as 10yo had been drilled by a pitch. He wouldn't swing bat. Count is 0-2. He squares up bunt. I'm the AC and mutter...what is he doing. HC is sitting in front of me. Kid lays down a perfect bunt....safe. HC turns and says the kid isn't swinging...he's a great bunter...we need to get him a "hit" and on base to build back the confidence. It worked. DS is 27 now....he still talks about that moment when coach had me bunt with a 0-2 count....

Jun 8, 2016
What is the situation with this hitter? What if this hitter is the number 9 hitter and hasn't been on base her last 20 PA's. Maybe the coach wants her to have a chance to get on base? What if the pitcher hasn't pitched a strike in the last 8 pitches?

What is "Traveling City League" anyway?
Why does any of that matter? It’s 10u rec ball..

Apr 14, 2022
Depending on the level, would hesitate to give the take sign at 10U.

I helped coach 10u req once. I took the opposite approach. Had a couple of batters who would not swing. Many games were a walkfest.
3-0 count I told them to swing no matter what. Neither listened and took ball 4.

Jun 8, 2016
Are you advocating don't teach the game at the 10U rec ball level?🤷‍♀️
Unless the coach is explain why the take is being given he/she isn’t teaching shi@

What they think they are doing (and it may very well be true) is giving the team the best chance to win a plastic trophy which they then can post a picture of on FB so that the kid’s who stuffed them in lockers in HS because they didn’t make the freshmen baseball team can now think they are cool..

May 13, 2023
Unless the coach is explain why the take is being given he/she isn’t teaching shi@

What they think they are doing (and it may very well be true) is giving the team the best chance to win a plastic trophy which they then can post a picture of on FB so that the kid’s who stuffed them in lockers in HS because they didn’t make the freshmen baseball team can now think they are cool..
Thankfully a person posted a good discussion topic.
Thankfully not everybody has the same perspective of not teaching shi@ and only wanting a plastic trophy.

Jun 8, 2016
Thankfully a person posted a good discussion topic.
Thankfully not everybody has the same perspective of not teaching shi@ and only wanting a plastic trophy.
You asked me a (loaded) question and I answered it. You don’t like my answers don’t ask me questions. Simple.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is plenty of coaching to be done at 10u level. Even rec ball. In fact that's when the players develop listening skills. My DD was part of a 10u rec allstar team that went to Nationals in Boise. It was a very good team and those players were well coached. And I am sure most, if not all of them, understood why they were taking 3-0.

Jun 8, 2016
There is plenty of coaching to be done at 10u level. Even rec ball. In fact that's when the players develop listening skills. My DD was part of a 10u rec allstar team that went to Nationals in Boise. It was a very good team and those players were well coached. And I am sure most, if not all of them, understood why they were taking 3-0.
Yeah but you are from CA, the softball Mecca of the universe..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish