1 day Clinics - worthwhile or not.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD attended HS clinic and had a great time. Did anything stick after a week, probably not.

It was well run and she never stood still, always doing something SB related.

If nothing else every player left feeling confidence in themselves.

Jun 8, 2016
The thing that gets me about DD's org is that the org head has a separate company which he runs camps through and then charges the org players to attend. We had a team meeting with him the other day and when he was mentioning an upcoming (org player only) fielding camp I told him that perhaps a better way of doing things if he was interested in developing the org players would be to have a coaching clinic...I probably offended DD's HC who was sitting 8 feet from me but oh well..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The thing that gets me about DD's org is that the org head has a separate company which he runs camps through and then charges the org players to attend. We had a team meeting with him the other day and when he was mentioning an upcoming (org player only) fielding camp I told him that perhaps a better way of doing things if he was interested in developing the org players would be to have a coaching clinic...I probably offended DD's HC who was sitting 8 feet from me but oh well..

I'm sure every org is different, but I agree that training should be available for coaches as well as players. My first experience as a coach was in CYO (Catholic Youth Organization) basketball. We were required to attend several training sessions before we stepped foot on the court. Some discussed game play, but many dealt with coach/player or coach/parent interaction, and most importantly, maintaining the org's values.

Our local soccer and softball leagues did not offer anything similar. Most of my initial knowledge came from playing baseball throughout my youth and modified softball as a young adult. I did try to create some coach clinics for our local softball league, but the first one was cancelled due to lack of interest, and we didn't bother to try it again.

When DD moved to travel ball, she was lucky enough to join an established team with an excellent structure. The org head, who also coached the oldest team in the org, often spent time visiting other org team practices offering advice or just being available for questions. He was the first person that explained DP/Flex and some other tournament type rules as those things were not used in rec softball (at least not in our league). He did not push his beliefs on us, but he realized that our team was being run by 3 first time travel ball coaches. His mentoring helped me considerably. In my opinion, all orgs should do something similar, but I am sure they don't.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
When DD moved to travel ball, she was lucky enough to join an established team with an excellent structure. The org head, who also coached the oldest team in the org, often spent time visiting other org team practices offering advice or just being available for questions. He was the first person that explained DP/Flex and some other tournament type rules as those things were not used in rec softball (at least not in our league). He did not push his beliefs on us, but he realized that our team was being run by 3 first time travel ball coaches. His mentoring helped me considerably. In my opinion, all orgs should do something similar, but I am sure they don't.

I agree that bringing in college coaches can be beneficial if you have an open mind and the coach is approachable. I'm pretty much willing to listen to them and learn from them. I always make it a point to talk to them 1 on 1 after the clinic to ask them among other things, about mistakes they have made and how they corrected them. Some coaches hate to admit mistakes to a group and are a bit more open 1 on 1.

I also received excellent mentoring from a HS AC when I started TB coaching 20+ years ago. It helped me immensely then and even to this day as a HS coach.

Jul 8, 2020
A lot of this "depends" for me. We have never really been to clinics but have been to a few camps. I would do a clinic if there was something specific i was trying to get out of it. like see if the coach was someone i might want my DD to take lessons from. We've been to a few college camps. The first one was I wanted my DD to get used to doing a camp in front of college coaches to get the nerves out. I assumed eventually she would have to do college camps b/c she was invited or wanted to go. For us, the first camp was a great experience and helped prepare her for the future camps. Also, one of the college coaches we still communicate with.

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Every...single...clinic DD has been to has been valuable. She has learned new pitches, refined existing ones, learned new drills, learned new approach to ground balls...you name it. I don't care how good a player is, if they are willing to have an open mind there is something to learn everywhere you go. Money well spent IMO!

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I'm glad to hear of the positive experiences.

However, I have been to a number of these in a capacity other than a parent. I sit there and watch the pitching coach/hitting coach do their thing for 1.5 hours, and have yet to come away thinking that was time/money well spent. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that all improvement comes incrementally. You have 10 DD's of varying abilities in a gym. The DD in position 3 cannot release the ball on time while position #9 has her shoulder flying open. It takes demonstrations and repetitions to fix that but in 1.5 hours there is no time for that because there is more to cover.

Apr 28, 2014
One thing to remember is that its fine to ask the coach ahead of signing up, what the format will look like. If you have a pitcher or catcher and want to go live you should ask. Some camps do and others don't. Also a good way to get a reply from a coach. They are allowed to communicate with a PSA to answer a camp related question ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01