1 day Clinics - worthwhile or not.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Start here #1 question~
Who is running the camp/clinic?!

Even with a good answer.
Be prepaired to learn different things.
Which can be hearing/seeing things that may not be the same as others may teach.

Helps educate to make smarter individual decisions by learning different things can find what works best!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I agree with this! I'd say 80%+ of the camps we attended were team camps so we really had no choice in the matter!
? Team/Org camps ?
= Feeder $

Rather select my own!

Tho there is something to attending an Organizational camp,...
Can get a sampling of
inteligence levels of the org coaches running it.
Also get a sense of how well or not they facilitate the camp.
Use of time, stations, Skill level they speak to...

Colleges host camps, which generally prefer. The clinics ran weekly usually have less athletes attending. Little more individual feedback.

Think 'start at the top' may be a good rule of thumb on this?!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If the goal of the clinic is skill development, it probably isn't worth it. At least the ones DD attended over the years were not. However, they can be beneficial in so many other ways.

Meg attended several over the years, most of which were the one day college clinics.
1) As an 11 year old at a local D1 clinic, she met a person who would end up being her pitching coach for nearly 2 years. At this clinic, the assistant coach made herself available for questions. DD was just learning to pitch at that time, and I asked her if she knew any local pitching coaches. She had worked closely with Meg that day and stated that she would be thrilled to continue instructing her. She was a strong influence on Meg's development until her job required that she leave the area.
2) Between the ages of 12 and 14 she attended camps at a local D3 (summer and winter camps). At one camp when we arrived to sign her in, a pitcher from the team walked up to us and said "Hi Meghan, it's great to see you again! Come with me and I will get you all set." Meg was completely blown away that this college player remembered her name from 6 months earlier. She was an immediate fan of the team and started following that player closely. She would probably be at that college now if they had her major...
3) The experience of interacting with college players and college coaches is extremely valuable. I know some players are a bit overwhelmed when they make their first campus visit. For Meg, it was just another day, at least from that perspective.
4) She also attended several mass clinics. The type not sponsored by a specific college but had college coaches present. Her current college coach attended a few that she was at. During a meeting in the coaches office, Meg was told that the way she carried herself around the coaches and other players set her apart. The coach was scheduled to attend another such clinic but didn't. What we didn't know at the time is that she was on the mailing list for all of the measurables. She mentioned to Meg that she was impressed by Meg's spin ratings. Meg's speed was middle of the road at this clinic, but her spin was top 10.

So I see value in them, provided your expectations are in order.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Meg attended several over the years, most of which were the one day college clinics.
1) As an 11 year old at a local D1 clinic, she met a person who would end up being her pitching coach for nearly 2 years. At this clinic, the assistant coach made herself available for questions. DD was just learning to pitch at that time, and I asked her if she knew any local pitching coaches. She had worked closely with Meg that day and stated that she would be thrilled to continue instructing her. She was a strong influence on Meg's development until her job required that she leave the area.
2) Between the ages of 12 and 14 she attended camps at a local D3 (summer and winter camps). At one camp when we arrived to sign her in, a pitcher from the team walked up to us and said "Hi Meghan, it's great to see you again! Come with me and I will get you all set." Meg was completely blown away that this college player remembered her name from 6 months earlier. She was an immediate fan of the team and started following that player closely. She would probably be at that college now if they had her major...
3) The experience of interacting with college players and college coaches is extremely valuable. I know some players are a bit overwhelmed when they make their first campus visit. For Meg, it was just another day, at least from that perspective.
4) She also attended several mass clinics. The type not sponsored by a specific college but had college coaches present. Her current college coach attended a few that she was at. During a meeting in the coaches office, Meg was told that the way she carried herself around the coaches and other players set her apart. The coach was scheduled to attend another such clinic but didn't. What we didn't know at the time is that she was on the mailing list for all of the measurables. She mentioned to Meg that she was impressed by Meg's spin ratings. Meg's speed was middle of the road at this clinic, but her spin was top 10.

So I see value in them, provided your expectations are in order.
Priceless! Super neat!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Priceless! Super neat!

Athletes and coaches have a huge impact on young people's lives. Meg still talks about some of her experiences with various college players. She attended a few games at UF and had the opportunity to meet Kelly Barnhill and Amanda Lorenz. Afterwards she told me "there almost like real people!" Yeah, well that's because they are.. ;) It leaves an impression. Young players can learn so much from older players, both about the game and beyond. I for one want to thank you @RADcatcher for participating at DFP. Even though the base here is mostly parents, hearing from someone with your experience can be extremely valuable. Thank you!

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD has been to a local travel ball club 1 day camp (fundraiser) twice, different experiences each time. They had former and current college players who had played for the org manager over the years run the camp.

DD was 10 for the 1st one. The instruction was OK but they spent nearly half the time circled up and the girls had a chance to ask any question they had about SB and playing college ball. Was really good for the girls to hear about successful players journey and it really motivated DD.

The next year DD went again and it sucked. Word was out that the 1st one was good and being a fundraiser, there was no cap on attendance. Tons of kids, little instruction, and limited interaction.

Be selective in what you are looking for. If it's not expensive and there is a chance for a good experience, it could be worth the chance. With DD only being 12, we have stayed away from clinics and camps. Mostly because they are expensive.

Oct 29, 2019
I like going to clinics.

Not as much progress made as in individual lessons.

My logic has been

- Hey $50 clinic for 2 hours.... cheaper than renting a cage and it's cold outside.
- Cool my kid gets to meet famous pitcher and pitch a bit for $100
- This will mix things up a bit

I also like to be social at these clinics and I've met lots of coaches, other pitchers parents, catchers.... We still get together with some of these parents for extra practice. Those coaches I've met have had a chance to see my girl pitch and getting to know them lets me know if we would ever consider playing for that team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01