When to Give Up on a Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
In the last CWS, I didn't see anything other than bullet spin pitches and some change-ups. I don't remember any drops, but maybe there were some. (It's possible to get some movement with a bullet spin pitch.) In previous CWSs, pitchers threw riseballs with 6-12 spin and drop balls.
So was Bahl's drop that she was throwing so well on multiple levels a bullet spin or a change?

And do good pitchers just get lucky that they don't hit their bullet spin or change, but do hit others?

I'm confused :unsure:

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So was Bahl's drop that she was throwing so well on multiple levels a bull spin or a change?

And do good pitchers just get lucky that they don't hit their bullet spin or change, but do hit others?

I'm confused :unsure:
Maybe the hitters just aren't that good...

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
N
Maybe and also just coincidence that most hitters mistakenly hit the top half of Sandercock's bullet spin to produce all those ground balls.....
No one said the ball isn't dropping. I'm just saying the movement isn't as great as a lot of us like to think it is, and the fact a lot of girls can't hit it is more a testament to their hitting skills.

May 17, 2023
No one said the ball isn't dropping. I'm just saying the movement isn't as great as a lot of us like to think it is, and the fact a lot of girls can't hit it is more a testament to their hitting skills.

Yeah I just think both of you are really undervaluing what separates great pitchers. A softball pitcher may be one of the most game-impacting positions in all of team sports, at least in top 5-6 I can think of.

There is a reason the best pitchers almost always end up in the WCWS. It isn't lack of skill by the hitters or luck.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah I just think both of you are really undervaluing what separates great pitchers. A softball pitcher may be one of the most game-impacting positions in all of team sports, at least in top 5-6 I can think of.

There is a reason the best pitchers almost always end up in the WCWS. It isn't lack of skill by the hitters or luck.
I'm not trying to put them down. My own daughter is a pretty darn good pitcher, so I see it all the time. If you read what Bill says a lot, it's to not confuse good pitching with bad hitting. Many times these girls succeed and pad stats because they're facing a lot of inferior hitters.

Why is it so many pitchers, who dominate in the regular season, regionals, and even supers, get tattooed against Oklahoma? Because their lineup is on a different level than any other team. Watch the girls move up to Athletes Unlimited, and see them struggle. It's because the hitters are the best of the best, and they can't get away with a mistake like they would against a mid-major, or even many P5 schools.

May 17, 2023
I'm not trying to put them down. My own daughter is a pretty darn good pitcher, so I see it all the time. If you read what Bill says a lot, it's to not confuse good pitching with bad hitting. Many times these girls succeed and pad stats because they're facing a lot of inferior hitters.

Why is it so many pitchers, who dominate in the regular season, regionals, and even supers, get tattooed against Oklahoma? Because their lineup is on a different level than any other team. Watch the girls move up to Athletes Unlimited, and see them struggle. It's because the hitters are the best of the best, and they can't get away with a mistake like they would against a mid-major, or even many P5 schools.

Yeah no doubt lot of bad pitching is covered up by bad hitting, but I disagree that happens often at WCWS level. Most P5 hitters can handle almost anything flat. The difference in most those teams and OK (or especially AU) is even great pitches they can hit.

What I disagree with is the idea that most pitchers are just throwing the same couple pitchers and the announcers are calling them different things. Yes sometimes that does happen some, but to me what separates elite pitchers is either very elite velo or (more often) their ability to move the ball effectively with spin.

I have caught lot of pitchers of all ages and abilities over the years. It doesn't take many pitches from that perspective to figure out why one kid is successful despite average velo while another kid throwing it much harder gets constantly hit. Just because spin rate isn't as prominent a factor in softball yet doesn't mean it isn't a huge part of success/failure.

Aug 21, 2008
Sluggers, are you saying you see bullet spin dropballs? I don't recall ever seeing that. A dropball should be the easiest and first pitch to learn. Most girls have one already, not understanding that one small tweak turns a "Fastball" into a drop very easily. While I've seen and I know many coaches who actually teach bullet spin riseballs, I've never heard of that for a drop. We can have debates about bullet spin vs. backspin on a rise but, there should be no debate on 12/6 spin for a drop. None. And that is regardless of a peel or "turn over" drop.

I still say there is something that happens with the cameras showing spin on TV. Kinda like how wheels on a car go backward in movies/TV. I have been in bullpens, been a catcher for, and worked with Abbott, Osterman, Ricketts, Carda, Bahl, etc. and I can tell you how their ball spins for each pitch. I don't know what it looks like on TV but, from first hand, I can tell you the spin from each when in person.

@uncdrew how does her drop ball spin? Does she have 12/6? You mentioned pitches in the dirt, that's simple release point issues. If she's got 12/6 spin, just have her stride out a bit more. That alone should bring the ball up so it's not bouncing.

Oct 4, 2018
@uncdrew how does her drop ball spin? Does she have 12/6? You mentioned pitches in the dirt, that's simple release point issues. If she's got 12/6 spin, just have her stride out a bit more. That alone should bring the ball up so it's not bouncing.

Agreed. Mostly a release point issue and just need some repetition and confidence (in that pitch). We can get there. Uh, she can get there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414