One of the hardest parts of coaching pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
Execution % is really more valuable. Strike % is not the best representation, but not horrible; a pitcher is trying to get a strike with almost every pitch even if it outside the zone.
The real issue with strike % is balls left over the plate that get crushed.
I think you can say low strike% a pitcher is missing the zone and/or not tempting the batter out of the zone.
First pitch strike % is a really key stat. You will not find very many successful pitchers with this low.

Yeah and that was the point I was making before, not all misses are the same.

To me if pitcher is not getting hit and not struggling with walks they are doing their job. Over a few games it can be just luck (or bad hitting) but if continue to put up good numbers against top teams likely more to it. If not throwing elite velocity then are probably doing it with some combination of deception, good misses, and excellent spin.

It is very easy to see the pitcher who throws gas and understand why they are successful. Pitchers with good location/spin it is hard to understand unless you are in box or catching. The truly elite have velocity, spin, and location.

May 13, 2023
Execution % is really more valuable. Strike % is not the best representation, but not horrible; a pitcher is trying to get a strike with almost every pitch
Not always with every pitch.
But yeah of course strikes help pitchers!
even if it outside the zone.
⬆️ this Factor may be the hardest to calculate.

Important to this conversation is with the majority of teams the abundance of outs are made by the rest of the defense not the pitcher. Might be a cause and effect of a pitcher throwing batters off balance. But majority of outs are reliant on the rest of the defense.

May 20, 2015
the hardest part of coaching pitchers is that most of them are a little touched in the head lol

Apr 14, 2022
Not always with every pitch.
But yeah of course strikes help pitchers!

Important to this conversation is with the majority of teams the abundance of outs are made by the rest of the defense not the pitcher. Might be a cause and effect of a pitcher throwing batters off balance. But majority of outs are reliant on the rest of the defense.
That is why I said most, would say pitchers are trying to get a strike 90-95% of the time. This includes when the are fine if they do not get a swing outside the zone.
0-2 count pitch is called curveball off the plate. If the batter takes, no harm done. That does not mean the intent is not to make it look good enough that the batter chased the pitch. The pitcher that executed this pitch with movement will get more swings. I think very few pitches are thrown purely as set up pitches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles