What makes a bad softball parent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Don't know that I'd cheer for a player getting on base on an error.

A player drawing a walk off of a good pitcher is worthy of accolade. Now a walk on 5 pitches...the 3rd time that inning isn't worth cheering about. An 11 pitch at bat that results in a walk gets a high five when she gets down to 1. I respect any at bat that earns a positive outcome against good pitching.

Apr 13, 2011
I agree but the walks I am talking about in 11U rec ball are not from hitters fighting off tough pitches. I am talking about walking on 4 pitches that are rolled or thrown over the catcher's head. Good eye!!

Jun 21, 2010
Something similar. "Abby is hitting much better"--Uh, she is one of the best hitters on the team and dad usually isn't at games so he wouldn't know otherwise.

Found a real winner today. DD went 1 for 3 hitting, which is already not nearly good enough in her mind, even though she tore it up behind the plate.
Parent on her own team says "What happened, you used to be a hitter".

Aug 11, 2011
Poison Parents....

A few I've seen in my last 5 years of ball.

A mom who sits behind home plate with a bunch of noise makers and yelling at the top of her lungs while the opposing pitcher is trying to pitch.

A dad who storms into the opposing teams dugout to confront the coach. Yes, a fight started and arrests where made. This happened at a 12U during a championship game in a nationally ranked tournament.

I've also seen many "poison parents" who constantly gossip behind everyone's back.

It amazes me when 12 year old girls show such a higher level of maturity compared to their parents sometimes.

I think the "poisen parents" are the worst. An angry dad who does not know how to behave, is one thing poisen parents can almost sink a team if you do not have a really strong core group

Aug 11, 2011
We had a dad who was always talking on the bench about how he could do a better job....When we gave him a chance he nearly destroyed the team, as soon as he ran into a tough situation he skipped practice, and took a player with him to try out for another team. When we removed him, his friend went with him. She sent out a mass email trashing the coaches and team and nearly tanked us..

Jun 17, 2009
I have seen this exact situation take down 2 different teams we have been on (one actually folded an organization), this is Deadly!!! For the upcoming 2011-12 season the coach was actually interviewing the parents more than the kids (LOL) what a sad thing....

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
A parent unwilling to discuss issues with the coach, but more than willing to rile up the rest of the parents.

I SECOND, THIRD and FORTH that!! Parents.... let the coaches coach and positively support the team. U may be shocked how the team feeds off of the parents cheering rather than the parents sitting on their rears complaining to anyone within ear shot.

When I played u had to earn a position, now a days I feel parents feel their child deserves a position with no ability to truly evaluate their child's abilities vs their teammates.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
ummmm there is a time and a place to drink..... that seems to be one I have ran into. Parents use tournaments as a place to get drunk and carry on like crazy people. Really, u can't wait to hit the bottle till after u leave the tournament.

I would love to just coach and not have to deal with parents... My High School team, I never have any crazy parents.... only my tournament teams do I seem to experience the parents from hell.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
How about the dad that sits on our teams bleachers stating his daughter is one of the best, names a few others that are just as good & the rest of the girls are just fillers? All this in front of the all the other girls parents, grandparents & family!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How about the dad that sits on our teams bleachers stating his daughter is one of the best, names a few others that are just as good & the rest of the girls are just fillers? All this in front of the all the other girls parents, grandparents & family!
That would happen once around here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA