What makes a bad softball parent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I had a LL boys team, one dad would sit behind his son (catcher) and correct him the whole game. When the kid came to bat he would heckle him if he did poorly. Then he started to rip on other kids, I finally had enough and told Dad that he had to shut up, and if he wanted to be his son's coach he should sign up for the next season. That was a bad father.

Have seen plenty of parents who were poor sports who would try to run down other kids hoping it would somehow make their kid move up the depth chart.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
A few I've seen in my last 5 years of ball.

A mom who sits behind home plate with a bunch of noise makers and yelling at the top of her lungs while the opposing pitcher is trying to pitch.

A dad who storms into the opposing teams dugout to confront the coach. Yes, a fight started and arrests where made. This happened at a 12U during a championship game in a nationally ranked tournament.

I've also seen many "poison parents" who constantly gossip behind everyone's back.

It amazes me when 12 year old girls show such a higher level of maturity compared to their parents sometimes.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
The bad parent is the one who approaches you during games and
practices regarding his/her dd. He is the parent who acts like
a player agent for a pro-ball player instead of the parent of a kid.
He is the parent who is yapping into dd's ear in the dugout when she
is getting ready to go to on-deck circle.

Jun 16, 2010
Obnoxious, argumentative, combative, loud, embarrassing, troublemaker, complainer.

Ive watched a parent at a national tournament during a game get in a heated discussion with the coach, yelling and asking him IF and WHEN they were going to play their DD. Totally unnaceptable.

Oct 19, 2009
For me it would be the dad of a pitcher who feels obligated to point out the flaws of every other pitcher on the team to the coach. I guess the coach (me) didn't have eyes of his own. He was just trying to help you know.....

By mid season this particular dad (I could spend all day on this guy) was banned from coming to any games or practices. Fortunately the mom had enough sense to know her future ex-husband was an idiot and took care of the transportation.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
IMO the worst is when a parent simply drops thier kid off useing the team as daycare. Its tough coaching a kid with deflated will.

and I'd like to add to that... drops their kid off 15 mins late, w/ no water, and not prepared (missing glove or bat, etc)... got one of those this year. Sigh...

Mar 20, 2011
Norcal
and I'd like to add to that... drops their kid off 15 mins late, w/ no water, and not prepared (missing glove or bat, etc)... got one of those this year. Sigh...

We had a dad (who claims to be the assistant coach) who went off on the coach saying his daughter needed to pitch and play more than OF and 2nd. Here's the kicker, the daughter had boots on and a SKIRT. Now get this, she also forgot her mitt at home. And the dad asked if he could borrow one of my extra gloves because he forgot his. Did I mention this was all happening 20 minutes before game time? LOL...I don't get it.

Jan 4, 2011
Every parent except me!!!!You can find something wrong w/ every parent,kid,ump and coach if you look hard enough.Then judge them to be bad .Try it out its fun..Wait a minute you do that anyway,belay my last.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA