No Power In DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
Not a bad swing, with some adjustment she will be well on her way. She does a lot of great things. I agree with others that the Tee being to far out in front, which is teaching contact at extension vs contact then extension. It seems to me that there really isn't that much weight transfer happening. She is trying power the swing with the upper body. its a all back all forward type of thing happening. That's why she is pulling her head up and out. She needs to understand that we are not trying to swing "Around the ball", but "Through the ball"

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I feel the same way about the weight transfer. To me, she does a good job of loading up, and moves forward somewhat, but toward contact she's almost pulling her body back. I've been trying to force her to get her weight forward more but nothing is really working.

Her swing is also mostly arm as you said.. although to me it looks like her hips are working.. but there is a disconnect somewhere where the rotation isn't translating to power.

May 9, 2019
So far some really good feedback from everyone. I'm her batting coach and obviously I've got a lot to learn. She only plays recball, and as you may all know, there is little to no good instruction being given by the "coaches"

I am considering getting her a hitting coach because I feel like she has potential, just needs some sound guidance. Do you guys get instructors for just do it on your own?

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I feel the same way about the weight transfer. To me, she does a good job of loading up, and moves forward somewhat, but toward contact she's almost pulling her body back. I've been trying to force her to get her weight forward more but nothing is really working.

Her swing is also mostly arm as you said.. although to me it looks like her hips are working.. but there is a disconnect somewhere where the rotation isn't translating to power.
How do you define weight transfer during the hitting sequence and how do you relate it to her?

Oct 2, 2017
So far some really good feedback from everyone. I'm her batting coach and obviously I've got a lot to learn. She only plays recball, and as you may all know, there is little to no good instruction being given by the "coaches"

I am considering getting her a hitting coach because I feel like she has potential, just needs some sound guidance. Do you guys get instructors for just do it on your own?
I came here a year ago roughly, to get help for my daughter and for my self to teach. I'm the only one that gives her instructions on hitting. Couldn't afford a hitting instructor.

May 9, 2019
How do you define weight transfer during the hitting sequence and how do you relate it to her?

I tell her to load up, toe tap and rotate her hips. I figured the act of rocking back (loading) and taking a step with the front foot (toe tap) would suffice in the weight transfer. I also told her to drive with her back foot, but that part is something I don't think she (or maybe even I) understand fully!

Jun 8, 2016
I think this depends on a number of things including your ability to find a good instructor and your ability to pay for said instructor. Even if you do find a good instructor, I think it is important to continue to work with your child on the side to enforce what is being taught in the once a week lessons. I personally haven't went the instructor route which, after looking at my DD's swing, may push you towards the direction of getting one :LOL:

May 9, 2019
I personally haven't went the instructor route which, after looking at my DD's swing, may push you towards the direction of getting one :LOL:

Well for me, it's kind of embarrassing when I tell my DD while trying to teach her, "hey no, not like that! do it like this!" right before I hit the tee and not the ball.. lol.

Jun 8, 2016
Well for me, it's kind of embarrassing when I tell my DD while trying to teach her, "hey no, not like that! do it like this!" right before I hit the tee and not the ball.. lol.
While being able to try out and feel what you teach is important, your actual ability to hit or playing experience is not a huge deal breaker either way in terms of trying to instruct your child. Sometimes it may actually be better that you learn to swing with your DD as opposed to being an old man who knew how to swing 20+ years ago. I say this from personal experience... ;)

Oct 2, 2017
I tell her to load up, toe tap and rotate her hips. I figured the act of rocking back (loading) and taking a step with the front foot (toe tap) would suffice in the weight transfer. I also told her to drive with her back foot, but that part is something I don't think she (or maybe even I) understand fully!

I think this might be part of the issue. I had the same thinking regarding load/weight shift. I personally feel that the "Load" is not rocking back, but the coiling around the back hip. and the transfer is carrying that coil forward during the stride. Most laymen terms I tell my daughter, which she just laughs at is "take your back butt cheek toward the pitcher!" I cant for the life of me know why that's funny lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32