No Power In DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here is a video from yesterdays BP off the tee. I have a live pitch on processing right now.

To me it seems like she is pulling her body back too early reducing the weight transfer.. Not sure why the ball doesnt travel higher and farther.. Im working on her to work the left elbow up a bit.

The ground appears to be uneven. Look at the height of her shoes. Could be the cause of the faulty weight shift. Just an observation.

Oct 2, 2017
Here's a live hitting clip... I still see same issues.. her bat path is very flat here but she made good contact.

Like many younger age players, she seems very reactionary or rushed when she starts everything. This cause things to break down quickly in the swing. Watch most MLB and College players. They are not reacting suddenly or rushing. They go slow to fast. Starting early in a dance with the pitcher. This gives them time which is valuable in the whole 150 milliseconds time available to perform with everything in sync. When does she get going? At pitcher wind up or release, ball half way?

May 9, 2019
I have told her to begin her load when the pitcher is at the top of her windmill. Of course when I pitch to her like in this clip, I'm not doing the full out dance and full arm circle, so maybe that's why she's not able to get her timing down better.
But for the most part, i always tell her to start when the hand is at 12 oclock on the windmill.

Sep 17, 2009
I tell her to load up, toe tap and rotate her hips. I figured the act of rocking back (loading) and taking a step with the front foot (toe tap) would suffice in the weight transfer. I also told her to drive with her back foot, but that part is something I don't think she (or maybe even I) understand fully!

I want to be kind but honest -- most of this ranges from surface-level-only to flat-out-misguided. That's ok. Being your daughter's hitting coach is HARD. It seems easier than being a pitching coach (which few dad's do) but it's exactly as hard. Most of what you see or think you see hitting- and swing-wise isn't going to get you where you need to be.

The good news is: 1) your daughter is very young and open to working, so don't worry about how far she hits it now worry about how hard she hits it six summers from now. She also has a pretty nice athletic base from which to start, but if you start burning in the wrong things her progress can go sideways very quickly and be tough to fix or walk back from, and 2) you seem to like talking and learning hitting. Dig in. It will take a long while but all of what you need to become her instructor is on this site (though maybe in two camps when you get to a certain level lol). Learn what 'load up' actually means in terms of actions, and that 'rocking back' is exactly how you DON'T want to be loading. Decipher why some say the hips resist rather than drive. Understand what a toe tap is used for and what it's not used for. Know that the rear foot/toe doesn't 'drive' anything, you need to tap bigger muscles (the rear leg/back as driver for some or more core-centric for others depending on their 'camp' :))

Anything less than that is a band-aid on a wound that will never get fully healed and right. I'd really encourage you to go deeper. Lots of people here to help but the start needs to be a self-guided deep dive in.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019
I want to be kind but honest -- most of this ranges from surface-level-only to flat-out-misguided. That's ok. Being your daughter's hitting coach is HARD. It seems easier than being a pitching coach (which few dad's do) but it's exactly as hard. Most of what you see or think you see hitting- and swing-wise isn't going to get you where you need to be.

The good news is: 1) your daughter is very young and open to working, so don't worry about how far she hits it now worry about how hard she hits it six summers from now. she also has a pretty nice athletic base from which to start, but if you start burning in the wrong things things can go sideways and tough to fix very quickly, and 2) you seem to like to talk and learning hitting. Dig in. It will take a long while but all of what you need is on this site (though maybe in two camps when you get to a certain level lol). Learn what 'load up' actually means in terms of actions, and that 'rocking back' is exactly how you DON'T want to be loading. Decipher why some say the hips resist rather than drive. Understand what a toe tap is used for and what it's not used for. Know that the rear foot/toe doesn't 'drive' anything, you need to tap bigger muscles (the rear leg/back as driver or more core-centric depending on your 'camp' :))

Anything less than that is a band-aid on a wound that will never get fully healed and right. I'd really encourage you to go deeper. Lots of people here to help but the start needs to be a self-guided dive in.

Thank you for being honest. I definitely welcome all criticism. No need to sugar coat anything.
I need to realize this is a marathon. I'm kind of impatient and I just don't like seeing my daughter struggle while to me, at least her form looks better than other girls who are driving it out in the outfield. She's very weak so that's why I was thinking of getting some weight training in her routine.

Oct 2, 2017
Thank you for being honest. I definitely welcome all criticism. No need to sugar coat anything.
I need to realize this is a marathon. I'm kind of impatient and I just don't like seeing my daughter struggle while to me, at least her form looks better than other girls who are driving it out in the outfield. She's very weak so that's why I was thinking of getting some weight training in her routine.

I see this all the time at younger ages. Players with poor mechanics hit farther than a player with good mechanics. I feel a lot of that is mentality vs pure strength. Meaning they want to crush ball, but DO NOT let this deter you or her from the long term outlook. Poor mechanics will not take you very far once they start facing good pitching. You have to have good mechanics to hit good pitching. Power will come. Alex Bregmans hitting coach in that video I sent you said it best. Power always comes last. The long term goal should be have good mechanics with the mentality to crush the ball, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45