No Power In DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD has a hard time getting the ball to get anywhere past the infield. From what I can see, she's swinging hard, and actually has decent form.. but for some reason, it just has no pop in the swing.

She even uses her hips to rotate properly, yet other girls on her team who are 100% arm swing, they hit it out into the outfield. Admittedly, my DD is a little weak in the upper body. She can't do a proper pushup, and just is very thin on the arms. Could it be that she's just not strong enough yet? She plays 10U, is about 4 ft tall and weighs 57 pounds on a good day. Please shoot me some ideas on why this might be happening?

Overall I think she's hitting the ball solid as well.

My 9 year old is 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. She launches them into the outfield every time she makes contact.

I think it's just a growth spurt thing. We live on a farm and my kids clean stalls, lift hay bales, etc. etc. They are strong. I think that's the only things lacking in your DD if she has good mechanics.

9 year olds have more variance in their shapes and sizes (and strength) than adults. My DD is almost twice as big as yours, and of course that's going to make a huge difference in how they hit the ball. Yours will catch up, and if she works hard on mechanics now she'll be awesome as she grows bigger and stronger.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
My 9 year old is 5 feet tall and 100 pounds. She launches them into the outfield every time she makes contact.

I think it's just a growth spurt thing. We live on a farm and my kids clean stalls, lift hay bales, etc. etc. They are strong. I think that's all there is to it if she has good mechanics.
This post confused me...

Oct 4, 2018
So far some really good feedback from everyone. I'm her batting coach and obviously I've got a lot to learn. She only plays recball, and as you may all know, there is little to no good instruction being given by the "coaches"

I am considering getting her a hitting coach because I feel like she has potential, just needs some sound guidance. Do you guys get instructors for just do it on your own?

Get an instructor.

I tried to do it myself and put in hours and hours and hours. I was humbled in the first 20 minutes of her first lesson.

You will have some success teaching her yourself. You'll have lots of success with a professional. Your choice. :)

Oct 4, 2018
This post confused me...

Sorry, I edited it some.

I'm just pointing out that little girls with little strength simply won't hit it as far as big girls with lots of strength.

We have some teeny, tiny girls on our team. Great swings, but they can't get it out of the infield. They will in years to come, no doubts.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
15581323133120550.gif

tumblr_pro6sctKCs1usf292o1_250.gif

Shorten the stride.....it's painful too watch.

Oct 4, 2018
Our hitting coach has the girls put their front foot right up against (but behind) a cord on the ground. He want them to barely lift it and put it on the other side of the cord.

Your daughter is lifting her foot about 8 inches and putting it a foot out in front of her. I personally don't know if stride is a personal thing and we've all seen pro players take huge strides. But this one does look a bit big to me too.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Not much weight transfer happening, you can tell by looking at the back knee as it straightens out, leaking the power to the rear. The back knee should be driving into the front heel.

To help with the arm bar, have her maintain the "triangle" between her hands and the inside of her elbows until after contact. This will force her to utilize her upper half and not just her arms.

One of the best things that I did for myself and my dd was watch lots of video of elite hitters(softball and baseball) in slo-mo. Become a student and start understanding what's happening and what's trying to be accomplished in an elite swing. Try the movements out yourself so you can convey the feeling to your dd.

Best of luck to you.

May 9, 2019
Our hitting coach has the girls put their front foot right up against (but behind) a cord on the ground. He want them to barely lift it and put it on the other side of the cord.

Your daughter is lifting her foot about 8 inches and putting it a foot out in front of her. I personally don't know if stride is a personal thing and we've all seen pro players take huge strides. But this one does look a bit big to me too.

Thanks, I think you all are correct the more I look at it. But would starting more narrow with the feet help?

May 9, 2019
Not much weight transfer happening, you can tell by looking at the back knee as it straightens out, leaking the power to the rear. The back knee should be driving into the front heel.

To help with the arm bar, have her maintain the "triangle" between her hands and the inside of her elbows until after contact. This will force her to utilize her upper half and not just her arms.

One of the best things that I did for myself and my dd was watch lots of video of elite hitters(softball and baseball) in slo-mo. Become a student and start understanding what's happening and what's trying to be accomplished in an elite swing. Try the movements out yourself so you can convey the feeling to your dd.

Best of luck to you.

I really see what you are saying about the weight transfer. I been telling her this over and over that she's placing all the weight on her back foot.. like she's loading but never unloading. I don't really know how to make her understand this as she thinks she's transferring weight.. .

I'll try the triangle thing again too. This is also something that I tried to explain to her. Maybe it's me.. not being a good teacher!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy