Intentionally hitting a girl?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
listen folks, I'm going to make some people real mad, but, this country we live in right now, IMO,we are raising a bunch of wimps, cry babies, its not my fault kids. Wrap them in bubble wrap in the name of safety for the children. We look to blame something or someone for our actions, never can it be the offenders fault. If a softball hitting your princess is the end of the world. Then stay home, doors locked, hidding under your bed.

MOLON LABE,
now you know were I stand

We should be focused on raising kids who can read and understand the words they are reading.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Intentional hitting will always be a controversy. Trust me, we have 5 pitchers in the family. It's a power that must accompany a level of personal control and respect.

I don't condone coaches calling a IH. I don't condone a pitcher throwing a IH out of meanness. I also don't condone a batter disrespecting a pitcher or taunting.

I've given this example before but it's been some time: DD is not the type to police the game unless it's very well warrant.

14u we are playing up, out of state in 18u. Our pitcher ( small girl 120 ) hits to 2b, she lobs it to first and the 1b is huge ( 200+ ). She hard tags my runner knocking her 10 feet off the baseline towards the dugout. Time is called, coaches flying onto the field, umpires rule NOTHING. So DD demands we put her in the circle, I know what that means. No words from me, I just know she's going to police the situation and take up for her injured teammate on the infraction.

The other coach is no dummy and pulls the 1b out of the line up. Smart move on his part cause seams were coming and probably very hard.

BUT, I blame the umpires the most. They knew without a doubt that "tag" was uncalled for. They could have settled the situation BEFORE and calmed it down by ejecting the player. And unfortunately I've seen the umps drop the ball on many a play ( like this one ) over the years that lead to pitchers policing.

And the sad thing is "if" DD had plunked her, the umps probably would have tossed DD when they did nothing to the 1b. That's the stupid part.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Last year , there was a play at the plate and my catcher and the runner got tangled up a bit. The runner kinda mouthed off to our catcher. After the inning , my pitcher comes in and tells me she is hitting that player next at bat. Sure enough , the next at bat for that player , she plunked her in the ribs. I didn't order it , nor did I discourage it. This was 14u. These girls should be able to police themselves

Two years ago, DD1 was catching in HS game. She called the pitches and the pitcher had a wicked curve (both went on to sign at NAIA schools) when this happened. My DD (the catcher) called time out when the opposing team's pitcher came up. This was a conference game and there were no strangers, as the old saying goes. DD1 swears to me, and I believe her, that she told pitcher to throw curves, but start them in on her hands (really good inside pitch hitter).
Well you can guess what happens.....curve doesn't bite and hits her.
Other coach (who I get along with great) figures DD1 called to get her plunked.
Next four at-bats (over two games) she gets hit by pitch. Fifth time she comes out of dugout to bat with her shin guards on and asks "should I keep this on while I bat?" to the other dugout.
Everyone erupts in laughter, including the other coach.
Even funnier since it is true!

Jan 25, 2011
We should be focused on raising kids who can read and understand the words they are reading.

So what are you saying? Just wondering? I know my dd understands, honor student, knows her rights that were given to her by God and that no person or government can infringe upon them.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2013
Any athletes on this discussion understands the emotion and adrenaline that sports give you. It's all a part of the game. That poor girl was alone against the other travel athlete AND her dad acting like a lunatic... I would have done the same thing! In fact... I did intentionally hit someone once in travel ball and it's a story still brought up while reminiscing on funny old travel-ball memories (of course below the knees so no serious injuries took place).

OBVIOUSLY if its a tie ball game its probably not the smartest thing to do, but I say Girl 'A' has some guts ;)

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
So what are you saying? Just wondering? I know my dd understands, honor student, knows her rights that were given to her by God and that no person or government can infringe upon them.

I'm just guessing here, but I think he's saying you don't know how to spell and write. And perhaps you should spend more time on perfecting those basic skills that might have a postive influence on your DD; rather than teaching her the right to bear arms by having her pose with a gun that resembles an automatic mass killing weapon with a high capacity clip that could be loaded with hollow points; that you have cutely dubbed "Emilys Toy"....I'm just guessing though.

Jan 25, 2011
I'm just guessing here, but I think he's saying you don't know how to spell and write. And perhaps you should spend more time on perfecting those basic skills that might have a postive influence on your DD; rather than teaching her the right to bear arms by having her pose with a gun that resembles an automatic mass killing weapon with a high capacity clip that could be loaded with hollow points; that you have cutely dubbed "Emilys Toy"....I'm just guessing though.
Yes, maybe your right, but it kind of looks like you also need some writing and spelling lesson. Just so you know that is not a assault weapon. It has never assaulted anyone, also that has been my avatar , way before any of the those terrible events happened. I do how ever like your signature, some my find it offensive, but I look at it has your right.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Intentional hitting will always be a controversy. Trust me, we have 5 pitchers in the family. It's a power that must accompany a level of personal control and respect.

I don't condone coaches calling a IH. I don't condone a pitcher throwing a IH out of meanness. I also don't condone a batter disrespecting a pitcher or taunting.

I've given this example before but it's been some time: DD is not the type to police the game unless it's very well warrant.

14u we are playing up, out of state in 18u. Our pitcher ( small girl 120 ) hits to 2b, she lobs it to first and the 1b is huge ( 200+ ). She hard tags my runner knocking her 10 feet off the baseline towards the dugout. Time is called, coaches flying onto the field, umpires rule NOTHING. So DD demands we put her in the circle, I know what that means. No words from me, I just know she's going to police the situation and take up for her injured teammate on the infraction.

The other coach is no dummy and pulls the 1b out of the line up. Smart move on his part cause seams were coming and probably very hard.

BUT, I blame the umpires the most. They knew without a doubt that "tag" was uncalled for. They could have settled the situation BEFORE and calmed it down by ejecting the player. And unfortunately I've seen the umps drop the ball on many a play ( like this one ) over the years that lead to pitchers policing.

And the sad thing is "if" DD had plunked her, the umps probably would have tossed DD when they did nothing to the 1b. That's the stupid part.

Totally agree with you GD. What's stressed to umpires by UICs is game management. Easiest way to manage a game to me is to show both sides that thuggery will not be tolerated. Contact is inevitable - thuggery is controllable.

Jun 3, 2009
Seriously? It's NEVER ok to intentionally try to hurt an opposing player and I can't imagine any coach worth his salt would stand for it. Either you teach the girls to play the game with integrity or you don't. Hopefully, you also teach them not to compromise their integrity because of the inappropriate actions of others.

Condoning a pitcher trying to hurt a player by intentionally throwing a softball at them is no different than sending a player or fan out to punch, kick or otherwise assault an opposing player. It's not part of the game.

Curve balls that don't break and balls thrown a little too far inside are part of the game. But, if the intention is to hurt the batter (or an umpire, or anyone else), it's simply wrong. Let's not help create any more Tonya Hardings that somehow think it's ok.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06