Intentionally hitting a girl?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Is this a softball forum or a weapons forum......Just asking. Last I heard we still had a 2nd ammendment. Service message is over continue with the regular scheduled program please.

Jan 20, 2010
Seriously? It's NEVER ok to intentionally try to hurt an opposing player and I can't imagine any coach worth his salt would stand for it. Either you teach the girls to play the game with integrity or you don't. Hopefully, you also teach them not to compromise their integrity because of the inappropriate actions of others.

Condoning a pitcher trying to hurt a player by intentionally throwing a softball at them is no different than sending a player or fan out to punch, kick or otherwise assault an opposing player. It's not part of the game.

Curve balls that don't break and balls thrown a little too far inside are part of the game. But, if the intention is to hurt the batter (or an umpire, or anyone else), it's simply wrong. Let's not help create any more Tonya Hardings that somehow think it's ok.

Please......take a step back and don't drink the koolaide. Watch the college world series or any college leve game.....girls get hit. If you want to call it a curve that didn't break go head. If you want to call knocking over the catcher and accident okay its your world. It happens, its real, I have never called for it.....never will, but it happens.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Yes, maybe your right, but it kind of looks like you also need some writing and spelling lesson. Just so you know that is not a assault weapon. It has never assaulted anyone, also that has been my avatar , way before any of the those terrible events happened. I do how ever like your signature, some my find it offensive, but I look at it has your right.

Yes I make errors too, I definitely type fast and carelessly at times. My main error is I type "teh" instead of "the"...I do that all the time for some reason; go figure. Remember...I was just guessing as to what he meant in his post.

I apologize for my ignorance...I know very little about guns; I'm just letting you know what it looks like. But I do know more than I desire about the effect hollow point bullets have on their targets, I can't apologize for that.

And the signature is a movie quote from "They Live"; no more, no less. It won't be there forever as I intend on changing it every so often with other quotes; but this line is a good match for my new avatar.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Is this a softball forum or a weapons forum......Just asking. Last I heard we still had a 2nd ammendment. Service message is over continue with the regular scheduled program please.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, we have a 1st amendment too. We also have a 6th Amendment, so I'll QUICKLY say...Sorry he hit a sore spot, but your point is well taken and I'll comply. Back to softball.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Please......take a step back and don't drink the koolaide. Watch the college world series or any college leve game.....girls get hit.

We're not talking about the College World Series. That is played by adults.

This was a rec league game. The question is whether it is appropriate for children or coaches to punish other children by throwing pitches at them. I don't understand how this topic has drifted toward a pitcher's right to throw inside or what 19- 22-year-olds do in a college game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
13-17 yoa rec game two players in the game that were not rec level players. *Both pitched for their teams. *

*girl B gets on base with an error. *She then proceeds to intentionally get caught in run downs trying to draw throws. * girl B would jump off base and it would start all over again. * *there would be a throwing or catching error and the girl would advance to the next base. *mockery of the opposing team and scores. *Girl B's Dad was high fiving and jumping around*

Fast forward to the 5th inning. *Girl B comes to the plate again. *First pitch hits her right between the shoulder blades. **

The girl who got hit, was making a mockery of the game. *

*One sort of went too far by showing off and the other called her out on it. *

There is only so many times you can kick a dog before he might bite back. The girl was clearly provoking the other pitcher. I wish the OP would state if she stopped after the plunk.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Seriously? It's NEVER ok to intentionally try to hurt an opposing player and I can't imagine any coach worth his salt would stand for it. Either you teach the girls to play the game with integrity or you don't. Hopefully, you also teach them not to compromise their integrity because of the inappropriate actions of others.

Condoning a pitcher trying to hurt a player by intentionally throwing a softball at them is no different than sending a player or fan out to punch, kick or otherwise assault an opposing player. It's not part of the game.

Curve balls that don't break and balls thrown a little too far inside are part of the game. But, if the intention is to hurt the batter (or an umpire, or anyone else), it's simply wrong. Let's not help create any more Tonya Hardings that somehow think it's ok.

I'm surprised that what you are saying is not a no-brainer, but the value of a forum is to hear people who see things differently than myself. I respect that.

I wonder what the reaction would be, though, if the ASA or Candrea or any major college coach made a statement that condoned intentionally throwing at batters in an a 17U rec league game, if they agreed that it was part of the game, that it served a good purpose in youth sports.

One thing that I like about having a wife that is not a sports fan is that she can see things from a 'normal' point of view, unlike me, a big sports nut who sometimes doesn't question things that are 'just part of the game.' Sometimes it takes a more neutral observer to point out that some of the things that happen in youth sports are ridiculous. Not saying she's always right. Sometimes it is part of the game. Kids throwing 50 mph pitches at one another is something that we agree is ridiculous. Sometimes we 'sports fans' and former athletes get so close to a sport that we can't see things objectively, for what they really are. IMHO, of course.

Oct 25, 2009
My DD got slammed while catching on a play where the runner knew she was out and sort of jogged the last few steps and then charged the plate, knocking my DD flat backwards. She did hold on to the ball for the out, though.

I asked her after the game why they didn't hit that batter when she came back up and she replied "because we only had a one-run lead."

Oct 25, 2009

Tonya Harding is an entirely different story. There's a HUGE difference between a being a cowardly thief and playing softball!

It happens. I hate it when it happens. And I also hate when it HAS TO happen. The OP sounds like an occasion where someone may have learned a hard lesson. Better on the field than in the classroom, or worse, in the workplace, or on the street.

Jul 5, 2012
I saw it once in 16u travel; top 2 teams in ASA that year in our area. Opposing catcher had an axe to grind against a few of our players. The whole game she was mouthing off, trash-talking against our girls. Our pitcher had enough and asked if it was ok to, you know, accidentally throw one her way. Nothing to intentionally her hurt but something to give her a message. After an inning of particularly abusive trash talking from this girl, she was next up to bat and the first pitch plunked her right in the butt. She got the message. This stuff happens. It's been happening for hundreds of years in many sports. As long as its not vicious and not intent to hurt someone, I have no problem with it if it is deserved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad