Intentionally hitting a girl?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I was watching a 13-17 yoa rec game last night. It was quite obvious that there were only two players in the game that were not rec level players. Both pitched for their teams. Girl A was the better pitcher, but her team was weak. Girl B was a great athelete. Girl B's father was coaching his daughters team, and seemed to really get excited about his travel level DD doing well against a rec level team.

Bottom of the 3rd and girl B gets on base with an error. She then proceeds to intentionally get caught in run downs trying to draw throws. The pitcher (girl A) would walk her back to the base and as soon as she would turn to head back to the circle, girl B would jump off base and it would start all over again. The pitcher would throw ahead of the runner and sure enough, there would be a throwing or catching error and the girl would advance to the next base. I could see the pitcher getting frustrated, as there was little she could do to stop it. Ultimately, girl turns a ground ball to 2nd base in to a mockery of the opposing team and scores. Girl B's Dad was high fiving and jumping around like he just won the WCWS.

Fast forward to the 5th inning. Girl B comes to the plate again. First pitch hits her right between the shoulder blades. I watched the entire game, and there wasn't even 1 pitch close to hitting a batter. Girl B's Dad goes ballistic and screaming at the opposing dugout. Girl A just stood on the mound stone faced.

I have seen a lot of games, and my belief is that Girl A absolutely hit her on purpose. As an observer of the game, with no dog in the fight, I am not sure how I feel about it. The girl who got hit, was making a mockery of the game. She would never play like that in travel. I have watched her play numerous times in travel and she has a bad attitude, but never pulled anything like that. I have also seen the pitcher in travel, and you wouldn't try to instigate her either, as she is usually on a good team and they would just laugh as the runner would be heading back to the dugout.

Watching the game it just felt like two quality players playing against each other. One sort of went too far by showing off and the other called her out on it. I can't lie, I sorta am ok with it. Has anyone else seen a girl intentionally hit and been ok with it?

May 31, 2012
Im ok with it. Its part of the game. Checks and balances. In high school i hit the same guy 4 times in one game. In slow pitch batters definitely try to hit the pitcher. In baseball its common if a player showboats or runs his mouth. Id like to see how the mockery girl acts the next time she got on base.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Interesting story. But what you're asking is whether throwing at kids has a place in rec ball or any youth softball. I doubt there will be much support here for that sort of thing. Weigh the pros and cons, imo. ... What good can come out of throwing at a kid in a rec league game? Is this really going to make this kid a better person? Is it really going to make rec ball a better place? Doubt it. Could somebody get hurt? yes. Could somebody retaliate? yes. Could parents/coaches go ballistic and act a fool in front of kids? yes.

As a coach, I worry about my team, and I teach my players to do the same. Not that interested in the behavior of opponents, umpires, parents, etc. Just my dugout. That's the better lesson to teach here, imo.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I will never admit to advocating a purposefully thrown pitch at a batter, weather she deserved it or not. Sounds like she has a real douche of a dad anyway, so having him raise her is karma paying her back for acting like him. :)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm with Coach James...instead of having one childish, immature player on the field, there were two.

And rec league as well...

Has anyone else seen a girl intentionally hit and been ok with it?

No. Softball (or sports in general) is just a little part of the child's life. The risk of serious injury to the child is to too high.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My Dd's high school team was competing for 1st place. The other team had the fastest, best pitcher in the league
My dd took her to the fence 1st time up. Next time up went yard. The one she went yard on is the picture in my advatar.

Next 2 times up got hit square in the back between shoulder blades, then got hit in the side. My Dd's team won by 7 I think

Next time they played. She got hit with the ball all three times up
I was furious. You could not prove it was on purpose.

First game state playoffs against same team. First pitch, Dd went yard ...foul. That at bat and the next 4 times up, they pitched out and put her on first.
Other team won in 12 innings 1-0... They took the bat out of her hands

So she got hit 5 times by one pitcher. My younger Dd ended up working with this girl 2 years later at a pizza joint. The girl told my younger dd she could not stand Casey. Hmmmmm The only time she ever seen her was across the plate.

SL

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
As much as you would like to some times... I say you just can't do it. Our other coach is an old college BB pitcher who's DD also pitches. He absolutely thinks its part of the game. Good thing he doesn't call the pitches.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Intentionally hitting someone is not always the only option.

Case in point...Championship Game. We're up by 1 in extra innings. They have 2 outs; tie runner on 3rd, winning runner on 2nd...The best, most powerful, League MVP player up to bat (already has a homerun in the game). I walk out to the mound with the catcher and tell my DD "Just don't give her anything to hit"; intentionally hitting her was not even an option to me.

Intentionally hitting her would have told my DD and the others that we can't beat her, we have no option if we want to win. Instead they learned there are other ways to strategize and come up with a plan without showing signs of giving in. Intentionally hitting batters is "in the game"...it's not part of the game. Intentionally walking is part of the game...not giving the batter a good pitch to hit is part of the game. If you hit someone intentionally then you should expect to get hit back...That part is part of the game.

BTW....She reached out and hit a dribbler back to the mound for the last play of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22